We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Williamsburg without Kids?

Clemson, SC
Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Williamsburg without Kids?

My wife and I are considering visiting Williamsburg next week. It seems that most of the reviews etc are usually geared towards families with children but my wife has always wanted to come see the CW area.

My question is this: Should this be a good trip for two people in their late 20's or is the CW attractions more set up for children?

Also, I enjoy photography and would love to get some fall photos of the leaves changing. Does anyone know if color is starting to develop int he CW area? Any recommendations for an area to drive to get nice fall leave photos?

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Williamsburg without Kids?

I love my kids, but Williamsburg without them is my idea of a perfect vacation. Take them the next time. Just imagine touring all the sites at your leisure, taking time to eat a dinner at one of the taverns without worrying if there will be a meal the kids will like, or just sitting on one of the benches taking in the sites and sounds of the Duke of Gloucester Street. I am not sure of the fall colors, but Williamsburg has many places for photos. I hope you have a great time if you decide to go. I recommend it.

Ranson, West...
Level Contributor
535 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Williamsburg without Kids?

Hi Jon!

ABSOLUTELY this would be a great trip for two people in their late 20's. I am in my early 30's & yes I have loved going with my son. But before he came along, I loved going just with friends, which the sound of just going with another adult at this point sounds FABULOUS to me. I think you both will love it. There is so much CW offers, there definitely is something for everyone.

I do recommend a little advance planning to make sure you don't kick yourself for missing a program you would have enjoyed. With many programs overlapping in time or going on at the exact same time throughout the area, I would definitely recommend you checking out the Calendar of Events page on the website to see what's going on specific to the week you would be coming. www.colonialwilliamsburg.com Plus, you can navigate the site a little to see for yourself if, in general, it sounds like fun to you & your wife. I would also recommend getting a 'This Week' calendar & map when you get to the Visitor's Center. I will never visit without one. They are fabulous.

I would definitely recommend a horse carriage ride. Perfect in the crisp fall weather. You have to reserve this early because it fills up fast. They don't take reservations until day-of, so what I mean by reserving early is to make sure you do this the very first thing when you arrive to CW that morning to ensure you get a slot.

The leaves are just beginning to change. So no super brilliant colors yet. You should still be able to get some nice fall photos though, especially along the cobblestone streets of the main historic area of Williamsburg. Also, a wonderful drive to get some lovely photos would be the Colonial Parkway, which is a historic parkway that connects Williamsburg to Yorktown. The whole thing is lined with trees & some lush open areas & part of it borders the York River- it is a very popular drive for those looking for nice photo opps, especially in the fall.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide. And if you do decide to go, I would love to read a trip report from you to see how you enjoyed everything!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Williamsburg without Kids?

*Set up for children*? Only? Absolutely not! In fact, the rather popular misconception that Colonial Williamsburg is (or ought to be) some kind of history-themed amusement park that is best at entertaining immature or thoughtless visitors drives me crazy!

CW is the premier living history museum in the WORLD. Its collections of the material culture of the southern American colonies is unparalleled. Its interpretive programs are wide and deep. Regarding our social and political beginnings as a nation, Williamsburg serves us all as researcher, educator, curator and storyteller par excellence.

Not that you have to be a scholar to understand what is there. There is something at every level of interest and comprehension. But the fabulous thing is that the scholarly aspect IS there -- just beyond the rustling skirts and the smell of wood smoke, the funny spellings of words and the rattle and squeal of the Fifes and Drums, the miniature gardens copied from the grand estates of Europe and the magnificent big windows with the thick wavy glass.

And it is so beautiful.

Go, go without hesitation and go prepared to fall in love with a special place. Or at any rate, that is my wish and my blessing to you!

Clemson, SC
Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Williamsburg without Kids?

Thanks everyone! We just booked the "Historic Powhatan" for next week. We booked through Expedia so there should be no time share requirements and hopefully the pressure to attend one will not be too annoying. I hope the resort is decent, the reviews were all over the place on that one but my wife loved the condo with hot tub idea.

We are excited and looking forward to it.

On a side note, has anyone tried one of the thursday night dinners at the winery? My wifes birthday is next thursday so I think we will give that a shot.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,308 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Williamsburg without Kids?

check some of the other restaurant forum posyings. I think you can do much better than the winery for dinner.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,308 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Williamsburg without Kids?

BTW don't waste your time with the timeshare presentation unless you are interested. They will suck away the entire morning before they cough up whatever gift they have promised. Enjoy your trip. We're heading down for the last week of October. It will be our eighth visit, the fourth without kids.

Clemson, SC
Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Williamsburg without Kids?

Thanks! Definitely will not do a timeshare presentation. As a child I attended a few with my parents, will never do that again.

Nazareth...
Level Contributor
122 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Williamsburg without Kids?

Just to add my 2 cents :)

DH and I don't have kids, and we visit CW every single year. When we leave, we start planning our next visit. We absolutely love it, and can't agree more with the previous posters. If you love history, or are just curious, you will surely enjoy yourselves!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Williamsburg without Kids?

Would agree that CW is definitely not just a place for kids!

Beyond that, I'd suggest that, if time allows, you also consider Jamestown and Yorktown. Both are fairly close to Williamsburg,,,and both have two sets of presentations -- one by the National Park Service and one by other agencies.

While the outdoor activities at Jamestown Settlement (the non-NPS attraction) are aimed more at kids, their indoor museum area is one of the most outstanding we've ever seen. A fantastic option should you run into a day of rain!

At Yorktown, the NPS self-guided tour of the battlefield area is worth the time it takes, and the guided tour of the battlefield area around the Visitor's Ceenter is extremely well done.

Go and enjoy CW, Jamestown and Yorktown!! We liked it all well enough to go back two years in a row...!

Chicago
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Williamsburg without Kids?

Our family of four - young parents and two boys, ages 7 and 9, visited Williamsburg in 1990. At the end of a full day spent at CW, my 7-year-old said, "We're going in another building?". (Although he did thoroughly enjoy dinner at King's Arms.) I decided then we'd return when we were empty nesters. We are making that trip in two weeks and plan to see everything we missed back then. CW is definitely for adults.

Get answers to your questions about Williamsburg