We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whoooo Hooooo!

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Whoooo Hooooo!

Hi everybody, got home on Friday and wanted to let you know that we had the most wonderful, awesome, terrific time! The highlight of my trip was being able to hold and touch a piece of broken pipe stem that had been found that day at the archeological dig on Jamestowne Island!!! I mean, how great is that??? We went to the Island twice. I was in archeological heaven!!

Some highlights: Capital and Palace tour.

Peyton Randolph House

Dinner at Chownings. (Don't ever, ever order the Welsh Rarebit....unless you like beer and yeasty smell, egad, it was awful!)

George Washington and Lafayette inspecting the militia.

About 100 tents on the Palace Green, and reenactors.

Ghosts Amongst Us evening program.

We were busy from morning till night and I still didn't finish my to-do list. (There's always next time!)

It was my friends first time there, and we now have another convert. She LOVED everything!! She got a picture of a ghost, I kid you not!! Maybe if she signs up for trip advisor, she will post the picture. It's really spooky!

I'll be doing some reviews as soon as I get rested up!! I'm so happy!!

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whoooo Hooooo!

Of course, I'm forgetting a lot of things, I did keep a journal, but it's in the box that I had to mail home and I didn't get it yet.

Rev City was wonderful. Patrick Henry was great. So many things I'm forgetting.

Just wanted to say to anyone who is skeptical about bringing children here, I made a point to watch the kids and I didn't see any of them whining about anything. They all seemed so happy. And at some of the programs, they just sat there listening with there mouths open, and just enthralled with the whole thing. A trip they will never forget.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whoooo Hooooo!

Sounds exciting. It's always interesting to see what's "new" at Jamestown.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whoooo Hooooo!

Sounds wonderful! Glad you had a good time! Was it cold during the Ghosts Among Us tour? We almost froze last March.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,732 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whoooo Hooooo!

Happy to hear from you! Sounds great.

I love the rarebit at Chownings! My dad used to make it without beer, but Chowning's is the best I've had since his!

We had pretty good weather until the last few days - cold, overcast and rainy pretty much the weekend here.

When I did the Trash and Treasures tour at CW, I got to see bones from beef, pork, and chicken that had been at meals at both Jefferson's Monticello and Washington's Mt. Vernon, so I know seeing and touching can be so cool.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whoooo Hooooo!

Aw, Marymac, now we're all so jealous! But thanks for posting and keep the anecdotes coming! We love it.

Like Zoey, I will stand up for the Welsh Rarebit -- I ALWAYS order it, and I actually dislike beer. Thank you especially for commenting on the children you saw.

PA
Level Contributor
228 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whoooo Hooooo!

Sometimes it is something small that makes a lasting impression on us...like a piece of a pipe stem.

It is good to know that your friend loves CW as much as many of us do. And, you shared important info about kids enjoying themselves.

Thank you for posting info about your trip!

Colonialgirl

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whoooo Hooooo!

Didn't mean to knock the "Rarebit". I'm glad I tried it, another learning experience for me.

Walked from the visitor center to Great Hopes Plantation. (A walk everyone should do at least once, and once was all we could manage, whew!) We were just in time to do some candle dipping. Got to make our own little mini candle. the kids were enthralled, asking all kinds of questions, and so well behaved. Great Hopes is not a "rich man's" plantation. It represents the "middling class". Everyone worked, men, women and children. A very hard life for these folks. There was a saw-pit where one person stands on top and the other goes in the pit. They use a two-man saw and zip-zip, another board is done. I'm sure many terrible accidents happened. And no doctors or hospitals around, like we have today.

George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette inspected the militia on the green behind the court house. The drum and fifes led the soldiers in a march around the field. George stood in a wagon, with his arms behind his back, doing a darn good job of "inspecting, I must say. Each different group of militia took turns firing their muskets. This was a very impressive program. This was the weekend they were celebrating the surrender of Cornwallis, so that's why the troupes were in Williamsburg at that time. Waiting for the siege!!

Off to the Pottery Factory. It's shaping up since the last time I was there. Cleaner, neater and more people. Lots more of the Williamsburg Pottery, a great place to get pottery at a big discount. These are "seconds", but hey, I'm not complaining!! We had to go back 3 times, because my traveling buddy fell in love with the pottery items. She couldn't get enough. It was so much fun watching her. (Reminds me of my first time there.)

Yankee Candle Village, worth a stop, kids would like it. It really snows there! Candy Factory Store is worth a stop, too. I mean, who doesn't like candy??

Ate lunch at the Carrot Tree in Yorktown. Very nice place. I had the meat loaf plate and C. had the crab cakes. Also had carrot cake, of course. I'll go back there. Enjoyed breakfast at The Old Chickahominy House. Had the Plantation Breakfast, uuuuum uuuuum! Filled us up good. I'll go back there, too. Had supper at Mirabella's twice. Their lasagna is so cheesy! Loved it.

Ate twice at the Raleigh Tavern. Ham biscuit, very dry, make sure you use plenty of condiments. Servers inside were not very friendly, but, oh, well, we were hungry.

The Glasshouse on Jamestowne Island is always interesting. You already know how much I love the Historic Island, so I won't repeat myself.

We were on the go from morning till night, so first-timers, make sure you wear some comfy shoes and bring your umbrella, (just in case.) We enjoyed great weather except for our last day when it just poured. ecsmom, it wasn't cold at all for our Ghost program, but big difference between March and October, I guess.

Again, a wonderful trip!! Don't know when I'll gt back, but get back I will. Thank you all for your wonderful advice and well wishes!!

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whoooo Hooooo!

Thanks for "the rest of the story" :) Sounds like a great trip. Makes me want to start planning another one real soon. I'm glad you had good weather. We have never been in the fall, I bet it is just beautiful!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,732 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whoooo Hooooo!

The trees here are gorgeous with fall color right now. Still some time before peak season, though.

The brick kiln burning, when the bricks that were made over the summer are fired, started this week. We went to watch a while yesterday evening, and afterwards we went to Chowning's. We passed up the rarebit for the prime rib sandwich, though. Utterly delicious! We were entertain with a pair of minstrels. They were good and funny, too.

I love the falls here - it's a great time to visit.

Ranson, West...
Level Contributor
535 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whoooo Hooooo!

Loved following the story of your trip Mary! So glad you had a great time, I know you've been looking forward to it for a while. And I'm glad your friend loved her first trip there. Hopefully there will be more to come soon. Thanks for sharing! =)