We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I stay at one of the Colonial Willamburg Hotels

long island
Level Contributor
473 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Should I stay at one of the Colonial Willamburg Hotels

Is there any advantages to staying inside the Colonial Willamburg area and in one of their hotels or should I stay at one of the higher rated hotels on the Tripadvisor list?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I stay at one of the Colonial Willamburg Hotels

Advantages of CW lodging: Free use of the CW shuttles; possible free or discounted admission to CW; some of the CW lodging is very close or in the colonial area.

Most of the non CW lodging (there are some exceptions) are not convenient walking distance from CW, so you would drive to the free parking at the visitor center and then take the CW shuttles to the colonial area. The CW shuttles are free is you have a CW ticket.

Probably others have additional comments.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I stay at one of the Colonial Willamburg Hotels

Hi, bethpage -- I simply would not stay at a chain hotel on the outskirts. In my world, anyway, that is what you do when your attention will be elsewhere, as with business travel, or going to a family wedding. If your objective is to experience the restored capitol of colonial Virginia ... you've got choices. Good luck!

Nazareth...
Level Contributor
122 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I stay at one of the Colonial Willamburg Hotels

Hi! We visit CW every year, and love to stay at either a Colonial House or the Williamsburg Lodge. The Colonial Houses are older (e.g. bathrooms) but clean as a whistle and right smack in the middle of everything. The Lodge is absolutely lovely, and really not that much more expensive than other nice hotels in the area. For the convenience of location, and also getting your CW passes included if you're staying at least four nights, it may be worth it for you.

And it's really more than just convenience. If this is going to be your first, or perhaps your only, visit to CW, staying right nearby makes the experience so much more special. You need not be confronted with the loud, garish, 21st century intrusions for your entire stay, if that's what you'd like.

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
523 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I stay at one of the Colonial Willamburg Hotels

To my mind, the decision depends both on your budget and how much you want the convenience. Williamsburg is a small place. No matter where you stay, CW is only a short distance from your hotel or motel.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I stay at one of the Colonial Willamburg Hotels

Unfortunately all of us cannot afford to stay at the CW properties. I have been visiting the Historic Triangle since 1996 and have never had the opportunity to stay on-site. It sure would be grand, I must say, but to the visitors, who, like me, have to stick to a budget, please don't let having to stay at a "chain" hotel deter you. I have had the most wonderful times and do not feel deprived. If I had to pay for staying at the Lodge or Woodlands, that would take up all the money I had for my entire trip. I'm hoping to stay at the Governor's Inn (the "lowest cost" CW property) one of these days. So, until then, I will be fulfilled just to have the chance to visit the most wonderful place that is the Historic Triangle.

No matter where you stay, it is a short drive to most of the sites.

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
523 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I stay at one of the Colonial Willamburg Hotels

I have stayed at the Woodlands and, for the money, it is no great shakes. The Williamsburg Inn is a deluxe property. If you have the money and want to spend it there, then go for it. If you don't have the money and stay in a chain motel (perish the thought), you can still enjoy Colonial Williamsburg.

Again, it depends on how much money you have and how you want to spend what you do have.

Whatever you choose Colonial Williamsburg is a fine holiday destination--and, if you have time, there is lots to do in the Norfolk area as well.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I stay at one of the Colonial Willamburg Hotels

The OP makes no mention of budget, just advantages.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I stay at one of the Colonial Willamburg Hotels

I did detour off the topic, but the first time visitors probably do read all the posts and I just wanted to let them know that they do have a choice. It's nice to know that you can DO the triangle on the cheap. No harm intended.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I stay at one of the Colonial Willamburg Hotels

Oh, of course not, marymac, and actually I think your point is well-taken. The beauty and message of Colonial Williamsburg stand well above the mere details of hotels and restaurants!!

10. Re: Should I stay at one of the Colonial Willamburg Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2010, 05:22