We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FYI - Winter in CW

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
572 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
FYI - Winter in CW

Those planning a visit to Colonial Williamsburg during the winter off-season may want to have the following info:

Historic area hours are 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. except during holiday weekends I/16-17 and 2/13-14 when hours are 9-5.

The Big Three sites will be closed for maintenance: The Palace 1/4 - 1/15; the Capitol 1/18- 1/29; and Bassett Hall 2/22 - 3/5. Great Hopes Plantation is closed for the entire season.

The exact details are not available yet, but a specially priced admission ticket will be in place to reflect the reduced hours, programs and building closings. I will keep you posted about price when that info becomes available.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FYI - Winter in CW

Thanks so much, catneal. At the moment, that is hard information to get from the website, something I personally would find very frustrating in planning a winter trip. Just saying!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
572 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FYI - Winter in CW

Starting Jan, 4, 2010 The Winter One-Day ticket will be $22 for adults, $11 for youth and the Winter Two-Day is $30 for adults, $15 for youth. These passes will include all buildings except during closures listed above.

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FYI - Winter in CW

Taverns will be closed, too. Shields Tavern will be open, and the Raleigh Tavern Bakery will move across Duke of Gloucester Street to Shields for the season.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FYI - Winter in CW

Sounds like a long, lonely winter in CW. But I bet there are some who really enjoy that time. Hope so. Happy New Year everyone!!!!

Ranson, West...
Level Contributor
535 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FYI - Winter in CW

A funny new profile pic yet again, MaryMac? Hahaha I love it!

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FYI - Winter in CW

Oh, Eliziam, How did you know it was me?? ;-) Just havin' a little fun.

Iowa
Level Contributor
303 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FYI - Winter in CW

The Museums of Colonial Williamsburg will be open daily with at least one new exhibit and numerous daily tours.

new york
Level Contributor
62 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: FYI - Winter in CW

Catneal - Thx for the info as I am now working on a 2 day trip to CW for President's weekend for my wife and 6 year old son.

I haven't been to CW since childhood but have fond memories. Can I assume from your post that there will still be enough for him to see at this time or am I better to postpone for another time?

I'm basically planning for 1 day at CW and 1 day at Jamestowne Settlement. Thx for any insights.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: FYI - Winter in CW

Hi, travel -- for sure things are scaled-back in the winter season at Williamsburg, but with just one day to explore (after all, hours are 9-5 except for museums, taverns and evening programs), that won't matter. The biggies (Capital, Palace) will be irresistable to you and your wife but your son might be more taken with some of the work going on in the trade shops (cabinetmaker, gunsmith, silversmith, shoemaker, etc) or whatever might be planned for outdoors, like Revolutionary City (street theater), Fifes and Drums or militia muster.

And, yours will be probably the busiest weekend of the season, ensuring the max opportunities.

Have a great time!

new york
Level Contributor
62 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: FYI - Winter in CW

Thank you, that helps a lot.