We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Input on visit the first week of March

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
432 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Input on visit the first week of March

I have been wanting to bring our family to Colonial Williamsburg again but have been waiting for our youngest daughter to be able to read the Felicity books (American Girl) before we go. She is finally there and the girls have time off of school in March (4th and 5th) .

I would really appreciate input on a visit from March 4-7, 2010.

I know that the weather might be chilly, but I think it is unlikely that it will be downright cold.

What about the buildings and museums - will they be open even though it isn't prime season? The Colonial Williamsburg website makes it appear that most things will be going on.

I would also appreciate advice about where to stay. We typically take our travel trailer, but it looks like we could stay at the Woodlands for less when you take into account the ability to purchase passes at a special price.

Any advice, input, or suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thank you!

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Input on visit the first week of March

We have stayed at the Woodlands several times and been happy each time with the accommodations. The continental breakfast is typical: fruit, eggs, waffles, toast, bagels. You will be near the Visitor Center which is a pick up and off point for the shuttle buses which circle Colonial Williamsburg. You will also be near Huzzah's Restaurant. (However, when were were there at the end of last March it was not open). All the historic sites and buildings were open, but the days of the week varied so check the daily schedule to see which days will suit you. Revolutionary City also ran its daily program. I think your girls will also appreciate Jamestown Settlement...it has replicas of the three ships, an English fort , and an Indian village.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,853 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Input on visit the first week of March

Colonial Williamsburg will still be in "winter season" the first week of March, but the plus to that is lower ticket prices and fewer people. You can see what will be on by looking at the calendar at the CW website: cwf.org/visit/…

The Woodlands is a nice place to stay. It's an easy walk to the Historic Area in nice weather, and it's close to the Visitors Center and the shuttle bus as well.

Since your girls have read the Felicity books, you may be interested in the map of Felicity's Williamsburg. Here's a thread that was started some time ago about the map.http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g58313-i102-k831486-American_Girl_Felicity_map-Williamsburg_Virginia.html If you send me a pm with your e-mail, I'm happy to send the scanned map as attachments via e-mail.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Input on visit the first week of March

We enjoyed our stay at Woodlands last March. We were there the last week and it was quite chilly. especially at night. I do suggest bringing coats and dressing in layers. Even though it was cold we had a great time. Have a great trip!

Edited: 12 January 2010, 04:07
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Input on visit the first week of March

Hi, hersheyfolks -- the winter schedule can be frustrating since not all buildings and taverns are open simultaneously, but with 3-4 days and some advance research, you should be able to see quite a bit, especially if you have been to CW before.

I don't know where the local rv parks put you on the map, but I would strongly suggest staying at The Woodlands, anyway. It's just so much more of an immersion experience.

Best!

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Input on visit the first week of March

I agree with RQT about the Jamestown Settlement. There she will learn about the historically correct Pocahontas. A wonderful museum, visitor center, restaurant/cafeteria-like, movie and gift shoppe is there, also.

Jamestowne Historic Island is the exact place where John Smith and crew settled the first permanent English speaking settlement in the "New World". Museum, gift shoppe, visitor center there, also. I don't know if the little cafe is open at that time, however. (in summer they have archeological digs going on.)

As much as I love the Island, if you have to choose just one, I would choose the Settlement for the children, if this is their first time, there. But both could be done in a day. (weather-permitting.)

6. Re: Input on visit the first week of March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2010, 06:15