We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 night trip in March - reasonable itinerary?

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
428 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
4 night trip in March - reasonable itinerary?

Hi! Our family of 5 is planning a trip to the area the first weekend in March. I'd like to know if the following is a reasonable itinerary:

1/ We will arrive Friday shortly after lunch and plan to visit historic Jamestowne - the NPS site

2/ Spend all day Saturday at Jamestown Settlement (re-created fort)

3/ Spend all day Sunday and Monday in Colonial Williamsburg

4/ Spend the majority of Tuesday visiting Yorktown, first the NPS site then the Victory Center. We would want to leave mid-day, maybe 2pm.

How does that look? Is all day Saturday too long/not long enough for Jamestown Settlement? Will several hours on Tuesday be enough to see Yorktown? (We won't be visiting the battlefields, etc)

Thanks for the insights!

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 night trip in March - reasonable itinerary?

Your schedule looks good, hershey. Plenty of time for the Settlement. Try to see the Glasshouse, which is included in your Jamestowne Historic Island ticket. It's worth a stop.

Yes, that will be enough time to do Yorktown.

Are you going to attend and evening program at CW? I'd recommend seeing at least one.

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
428 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 night trip in March - reasonable itinerary?

Thanks for the help!

No, I hadn't really given much thought to an evening program. Can you recommend one or two? Our daughters are 14, 10 and 7 if that helps. They are very interested in history and most of our vacations include some elements of that, so it doesn't have to be geared just for kids...I'd be more concerned about adult content...

Thanks again!

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 night trip in March - reasonable itinerary?

Here's a list of the evening programs:

history.org/visit/…show_undefined

Some, are more adult oriented, like "Cry Witch". It is very intense and dramatic, but very, very good. One of the most popular programs in CW. As far as I'm concerned, none are really "adults only", just depends on if you think your kids can handle some shrieks and gallow talk. Dance and Music programs are fun, as would be a ghost walk.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 night trip in March - reasonable itinerary?

Hersheyfolks -- Your itinerary sounds very do-able based on our own repeat visits to WIlliamsburg. If you get bad weather on Saturday, or if the girls are really into history, the indoor displays at Jamestown Settlement are excellent. Too many folks look at a gallery or two and skip the rest....or skip them completely to get to the outdoor exhibits. Think you'll find they're well worth the time.

P.S. - Had a great week's vacation in Hershey last fall -- fell in love with Hershey Pantry!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 night trip in March - reasonable itinerary?

Be sure to attend a ranger tour at Historic Jamestown. The ranger will explain about the current archaeology. You'll be able to see exactly where the original fort was built. You'll be able to return on Saturday, if you run out of time on Friday. I doubt you'll need all day at Jamestown Settlement, but do not rush through the indoor exhibits either.

You can see the daily events at CW at the history.org website. Activities vary from day to day. Be sure to viisit Great Hopes, if it is open during your visit.

All the evening programs are interesting at CW, although some may be too intense for your youngest. Evening programs are available to you, even before the two days you choose to use your pass. Check with AAA, if you are a member, for a discount on your tickets. Evening concerts are also very pleasant. Evenings walking through historic CW is often very pleasant as well.

You are allowing plenty of time for Yorktown since the history of the battle does not appear to be a big draw to you or your family. I've never been to the Victory Center, but I understand it is geared more toward the children's understanding than the NPS site at Yorktown. The NPS visitor center is excellent though.

Enjoy your stay at this wonderfully historic area.

Lunch concessions are pricey at all locations; we usually pack lunches.

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 night trip in March - reasonable itinerary?

Our kids (grandkids) have always enjoyed going to the Jamestown Settlement, but they were also ready to leave after about three hours. When you go to Historic Jamestowne, ask if the Chicken Lady will be there. She does a wonderful first-person interpretation of an indentured servant new to Virginia. Also if you have time, you might want to take a short (25-minute) drive along route 5 to visit Berkeley Plantation on the James River.

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
428 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 night trip in March - reasonable itinerary?

I really appreciate everyone's help!

We are looking forward to a great trip!

Virginia
Level Contributor
53 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 night trip in March - reasonable itinerary?

Also ask the rangers at the national parks about their Junior Ranger programs. The younger two are the right age. The 14-year old will find it too elementary, but might be OK with helping the younger ones. Are they by chance Girl Scouts? The Colonial Coast Council has "Explore Jamestown" and "Explore Yorktown" patches. Patch requirements can be downloaded from www.gsccc.org/Programs_Activities_Patches.asp and the patches themselves ordered from the Council shop. The patches are for all ages.

9. Re: 4 night trip in March - reasonable itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2010, 05:16