We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf trip

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vermont
12 posts
Save Topic
Golf trip

Our group (12-16 of us, 35-45 year old) is thinking of going to Williamsburg this October for our every 2 year golf trip. None of us have been to Williamsburg before. We are debating between here and Ocean City Md. We are mostly about the golf but would like to go out get a good dinner and have a little fun. Do you thing Williamsburg is for us? thanks

Southern Shores...
Level Contributor
132 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf trip

In short: Yes. Williamsburg is a golf mecca. It seems like this area must have at least a dozen courses.

http://www.golfwilliamsburg.com/index.html

And if your group is looking for a great dinner out than you've got some great choices right in Merchant Square: The Fat Canary and The Blue Talon being my favorites. (The Fat Canary has finished in first or second for the past 3 years in Hampton Roads magazine's annual rankings of restaurants from Wmbg to VA Beach).

If the trip is in October the weather will be much better down here. It is still plenty warm here in October. I'm a native of Baltimore, MD and let me tell you just the few hours farther south makes a great difference in weather.

Plus, having been to O.C., MD many a time I'm not a big fan. It has gotten too overbuilt and congested the last few years. For a beach destination I would take Outer Banks, NC over Ocean City any day of the week.

One word of caution about Williamsburg though...if your group is looking for some "lively" nightlife...O.C. wins that battle. Wmbg has a couple of watering holes/nightlife spots in Newtown but that's about it.

Let's go O's!

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf trip

Williamsburg is a great golf town, with Colonial Williamsburg's two Golden Horseshoe courses, Ford's Colony's three, Kingsmill's four, and a dozen or so others nearby. Lodging can be secured at any of the above, through Colonial Williamsburg, Marriott's Manor Club at Ford's Colony, and Kingmill Resort. Each resort has great restaurants, and there are many others, including sports bars, about town.

Post other specific questions about lodging, length of stay, preferred types of dining, etc., and we'll try to help you out.

NEWPORT NEWS, VA
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf trip

The area between Williamsburg and Virginia Beach (also known as Hampton Roads) is home to approx 40 golf courses, from resort links to municipal courses, and October, with weather ranging from warm to crisp, is a perfect time to play them.

You can access the Virginia Golf Guide online: …dirxion.com/golfguide/skin/entrymap/entryma…

Or, you can order a copy by calling (800) 93 BACK 9.

Plus, if you'd like to get an idea as to activities and events, as well as restaurant info, the Daily Press offers a good website:

http://findlocal.dailypress.com

:-)

4. Re: Golf trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2010, 06:18