We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget road trip detail help

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Budget road trip detail help

Hi my sister and I are planning on packing our 3 boys, hers is 10, mine are 7 and 5 into the minivan and road tripping down from Boston MA for Spring break in April. We are considering a lunch stop in Philly to check out the bell and reading Termnal Market, than finishing the drive down to arrive early evening on Saturday. We would than have 3 full days. We are leaning towards a day at CW, the Air and space museum and the grossology exhibit and a day touring Jamestown and the ferry and state park and historic buildings south. We are considering skipping Busch Gardens. My nephew and eldest sons are not amusment park kids. My nephew turns green at motion. Are we missing out by skipping this? Also, sis and I are wine gurus and she and her son are foodies. Would we be out of place bringing the boys on a tour of the vineyard. I often bring my boys on factory tours and they get a kick out of learning how stuff is made or works. We are probably going to stay at the Country Inn and Suites as we can get 2 queens and a pull out for a decent price. Any advice on additional attractions or hidden gem food options are much appricated. agenda/itinerary advice welcome. Thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget road trip detail help

Hi, Boston. In my view, the peripheral attractions of Busch Gardens, like food, entertainment and landscaping, are simply not in the same league as the world-class offerings of Williamsburg and Jamestown, so if no one intends to ride the rides, there is no point to spending one of your three days there.

With an interest in technology, your little group should have a ball in CW. The political and economic forces of the times in the American colonies stimulated a boom in manufacturing that lifted the craftsperson and the *non-elite* consumer alike into a middle class which in many ways is still the hallmark of our society. You will find all kinds of interpretations of 18th century technology ranging from building construction to the making of guns, furniture, wigs, and so on.

If you have time to prepare yourselves, you could check your public library to see if they have, or can get for you, any of the "Trades of Colonial Williamsburg" videos. Although some are quite dated by now, they are nonetheless riveting close-ups, narrated by the actual crafters themselves, of arts and mysteries that came within a whisker of being lost before Colonial Williamsburg turned its attention to them.

As foodies, you'll definitely want to explore the foodways storylines in Williamsburg, so do not miss the kitchen at the Governor's Palace, Charlton's Coffeehouse, and the Raleigh Tavern Bakery. I also think you would enjoy a lunch or dinner at one of the taverns.

Jamestown is tailor-made for a group like yours and sure to engage the boys.

Best for a great visit!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget road trip detail help

Check out this website for child friendly wineries.........

www.virginiawine.org/wineries…

I noticed plenty in the Northern Va area (ex. Marterella in Warrenton) but not near Williamsburg. You can enter your location preference and other requirements and search this site. www.virginia.org also has an extensive wine listing as well as many ideas for traveling in Virginia with children.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 07 March 2010, 14:18
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget road trip detail help

Busch Gardens is a beautiful park, and the shows are interesting and fun. This year, they are going to have black-face sheep and border collie puppies who will be trained to herd sheep, the work of border collies. However, since the rides aren't really of interest, I think you would do well to skip BG in favor of more time at Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Settlement and Historic Jamestowne, plus the Virginia Air & Space Center.

A 10-year-old foodie? I'm sure he'll enjoy the foodways aspects of CW. Check to see if they are doing the secrets of the chocolate maker in the Palace Kitchen - always a hit!

If you take the free ferry from Jamestown across, I can recommend the Surrey House for either lunch or supper. Just good cooking. You might also enjoy Old Chickahominy House, but check the reviews to see what you think. I also like The Backfin and Five Forks Diner for a bit of the out-of-the-way, more "locals" kind of places.

Welcome to Williamsburg and the Historic Triangle!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,674 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget road trip detail help

Would agree with those suggesting you skip Busch Gardens if there are no "ride" afficianados in your group. Nice grounds etc. but not worth the admission cost if you're not going to ride.....

For their ages, the boys sound truly curious -- in which case I'd say don't neglect some of the indoor displays at Jamestown Settlement. They're well done and offer some added insight to that part of our history....and make a great thing to do if you hit bad weather. They're also going to love the outdoor activities there....should be a great day.

Would agree with the recommendation of Surrey House as a good place to eat the day you take the ferry over to the south shore......someone on Trip Advisor recommended it to us before our last trip and we liked it so well we went back a second time -- nothing fancy, just good food at reasonable prices in an impecably clean, family setting. Not sure I'd recommend Chickahominy, though -- we tried it and were disappointed... tight quarters for three youngsters and food and service were only so-so the day we were there.

If you want something different for lunch, take the kids out to the Charly's Airport Restaurant at the Williamsburg Airport. It's nothing fancy to look at, but the food is definitely better than you'd expect (you can Google them for reviews, map etc),...but the big attraction is that the planes are taking off and landing right in front of you! It's not a big airport, so there's very little space between the terminal and airport....the kids will have great views of the planes while you eat. And if it's a nice day, you may even get an outdoor table that literally less than 100-feet from the airplane parking apron. Kids should love it!

Virginia
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget road trip detail help

You might want to check out the Williamsburg Winery www.williamsburgwinery.com/index-hs.htm . They have tours and a tavern for lunch. It's right next to the airport that was mentioned previously, if you wanted to go to Charly's too.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget road trip detail help

Ok...you are all WONDERFUL. My sister and her husband are both graduates of Culinary college and have extensive training in many facets of the industry, so their only son, even at 10 is very exposed and shows signs of following in his parents footsteps. You should see the cake he made for his Boy Scouts blue and gold ceremony. Great information across the board, I look forward to plotting it all out. We will definately have to hone in on the Chocolate, that certainly caught my attention. Does anyone have any favorite stories they can recommend for my 5 and 7 year olds? We read every night at bed time and I'd like to set the scene before our trip. Along the lines of "Make way for Ducklings" for those visiting Boston. I was thinking of having them watch Pocohantas but the Disney version might really confuse them. They have read most of the Jack and Annie, Magic Tree house books, I'll have to recheck and see if any of those deal with that era, and region. Sis and I look forward to sharing a few bottles of your regional Vines back at the hotel room when the boys are tucked in bed. Again...THANK YOU! Road trip!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget road trip detail help

I particularly like the series that includes Ann's Story, Caesar's Story, Maria's Story, Will's Story, etc. Here's a link to the page on CW's website: www.history.org/Publications/books/index.cfm…

I think the foodies would enjoy A Chef's Kitchen, but it's a bit pricey and not geared towards the younger ones who would not appreciate what a great experience it can be.

Call the Williamsburg Winery to inquire about their tours. I've seen younger children there, but usually in the "tween" age group. We regularly visit to restock our wines; they have several we enjoy.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget road trip detail help

Thanks Zoey, I had checked out the Williamsburg Winery website and have them on our short list. Looks like a lovely place. Sis and I are happy to split up and let Her and her son go to the things that my kids would ruin. I'll look into the Chef's Kitchen for her. The time apart might help motivate my children to have better table manners in the future. I'll check out the stories. Best wishes

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget road trip detail help

The only Magic Tree House book I remember for the time period is "Revolutionary War on Wednesday", and it deals with Washington crossing the Delaware. However, my granddaughter (11 at the time) read "A Haunting In Williamsburg" by Lou Kassem and she liked it.

10. Re: Budget road trip detail help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 20:20
Edited: 08 March 2010, 20:20