We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Williamsburg Restaurants

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NC
13 posts
Save Topic
Williamsburg Restaurants

I am looking for some suggestions for good restaurants. We have looked at the taverns but I think those are a little above our price range. We would like to try a good seafood restaurant. Don't mind one or two meals being moderately priced but would like to keep the others as low as possible without eating all fast food. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,753 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Williamsburg Restaurants

For good seafood at a reasonable price, try The Backfin on Strawberry Plains Road. Food for Thought is one of the few Richmond Road establishments that I often recommend. It has a nice eclectic variety to the menu. Both are good dinner choices.

For fresh, delicious sandwiches on the cheap, we have two WaWa convenience stores; one is walking distance from the Historic Area. The sandwiches are fresh, made to order, and of course they stock the usual variety of chips and sodas, as well as potato salad, fresh fruits and veggies, etc. I often go there myself. Except for there being no place to sit and eat, it's far better than the pricier Cheese Shop on Merchants Square, in my opinion. A new place recently opened on Prince George Street - The Short Stop Market & Deli, and it has some good choices. And I have to mention Retros Good Eats - hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, all freshly prepared and very tasty. You have to try one of their freshly squeezed limeades!

In the Historic Area, the Raleigh Tavern Bakery has some good sandwiches and snacks, etc., and there's a shaded picnic area at the back of the property. Well, that should get you started - I'm sure others will have some ideas, too!

NC
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Williamsburg Restaurants

Thanks Zoey. We will definitely give some of these a try. Do you by chance know if the Governor's Palace is included in the Historic Triangle Pass? I can't seem to find that info on the website or maybe I am just overlooking it.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Williamsburg Restaurants

Thanks Zoey!

I am surprised to hear your comments where you seem to recommend WaWa over The Cheese Shop for sandwiches.

It would have imagined that The Cheese Shop has fresh baked breads, top quality meats and cheeses, (imported) etc... You would think that they would have a better sandwich?

I know Cheese Shop is pricier. So, I would be interested to hear more details and comparison.

We are hoping to spend two full afternoons at Historic Colonial Williamsburg, so we plan on having several meals there in the area.

Edited: 24 April 2010, 01:09
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,753 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Williamsburg Restaurants

dcwest, yes, the Governor's Palace is included in all passes except for the One-Day Basic Pass.

Wishing, I just don't like the Cheese Shop sandwiches enough to pay the extra. For one thing, the bread is thick sliced, not a roll, and I prefer a sub-style roll. And I know this is almost sacrilege, but I don't care for the "house dressing" that the Cheese Shop has. To me, it just tastes too salty and detracts from the flavor. I like a bit of oil and oregano, lettuce and onion, none of which is available at the Cheese Shop. And to me, the meat and cheese available on the Cheese Shop sandwiches is good, but not better. The other thing is the chaos when the Cheese Shop is busy. Unless you've been there before, it's not intuitive to tell where to go to order, and when it's busy, you fight through crowds to order, fight through the crowd to stand and wait for your sandwich, fight to go pick up your sandwich, and fight back through to go to the front of the store to pay. At WaWa, you order via a touch screen and get a receipt that you take to the cash register to pay, and then go pick up your sandwich. Easy-peasy. Even when it's busy, it's much more organized. Now, if you want to buy cheese and bread, the Cheese Shop has an amazing variety of cheeses from all over, and some very good bread.

I would never say, don't go to the Cheese Shop; it's an experience, and many people like it. And I do go there sometimes, usually in the slower season. But it occurred to me that folks need to know that there are lots of choices, and everyone is sure to find something that pleases them.

Edited: 24 April 2010, 01:45
NC
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Williamsburg Restaurants

Thanks again Zoey. I also liked the comparison on WaWa and Cheese Shop.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Williamsburg Restaurants

Yes, thanks again Zoey!

Great info.

They both sound like very good options for lunch.

I've never been to a WaWa...

All that keeps coming to mind is the old comedy skits about Barbara Walters, where she says, "I'm Babwa WaWa" Hahahahaha!!!!!!

Iowa
Level Contributor
299 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Williamsburg Restaurants

We have had some pretty bad experiences with Backfin and won't go back. Berrets is more expensive, but worth the price to us. I agree the Cheese Shop is over rated. Locally owned restaurants that get good marks and are reasonable are Food for Thought, Victoria'sand Second Street.

Central VA
Level Contributor
90 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Williamsburg Restaurants

I found the subs at Carmine's (other side of town) were more to my liking than the ones at the Cheese Shop. Of course I am a sucker for a really good Italian assorted like the ones Carmine's had.

We didn't find good seafood, but we did like the Italian at Doraldo's (out near Busch Gardens). It was a pretty reasonable price, and the lobster ravioli special was excellent, as was everything we have tried there in our 4 visits there.

We have eaten at Black Angus twice (once under another name) and found it mushy/bland and overcooked (prime rib ordered rare comes medium) at a premium price.

NC
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Williamsburg Restaurants

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions!!! We are really looking forward to our trip!

10. Re: Williamsburg Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2010, 05:15