We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Williamsburg Weather

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Williamsburg Weather

We will be heading down to Williamsburg for 4th of July weekend so I have been watching the weather and I'm not happy to see that it is in the high 90's and into the 100's!! Did anyone just recently come back during this heat? I'm starting to re-think our trip since myself and kids have a hard time handling the heat. This will be our first time there so I'm not sure if we will be ducking in and out of buildings, or should I prepare to be sweltering outside all day long? We are staying at Woodlands. Thanks for any help!

Iowa
Level Contributor
303 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Williamsburg Weather

Williamsburg in the summer is hot and humid! It will be in 100 for the next couple days, but that is unusual. You can count on temps in the 90's mosr days, with humidity. Drink lots of water, wear a hat ...the usual suggestions. CW has a great musum (Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum) which kids love, and it is air conditioned. Come and enjoy: July 4th is a great time to be here...terrific fireworks and programs.

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Williamsburg Weather

Thanks Janet, so I'm assuming the bulk of our sightseeing is outside?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Williamsburg Weather

Hi, z&k --

The museums, the exhibition buildings, the shops and restaurants are all air-conditioned, of course, but unless you are in the compact little shopping mall at Merchants Square, *ducking in and out* does not describe how one sees things at Colonial Williamsburg -- the buildings are spread out along a mile of pedestrian-only street.

You will be walking or standing in lines or crowds probably 70% of the time. When you enter an exhibition building (I am assuming you will purchase passes) it will be for a walk-through tour, an experience that on average takes about 20 minutes. The buses back and forth to The Woodlands and the Visitor Center will be SRO.

While I certainly don't disagree with janet39 that the fireworks and programs are terrific, I do think that a certain amount of stamina is required to endure the conditions, especially on a popular holiday weekend. If you must come to Tidewater Virginia in midsummer, come with realistic expectations of being uncomfortable. You are smart to think about this in advance!

Doesn't it make you wonder why British colonialism, in the 18th century, developed in some of the hottest places imaginable, like India and the southern Tidewater? Talk about culture shock. I guess colonialism wasn't about pleasure! :-)

Happy Fourth, wherever you spend it!

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Williamsburg Weather

We just got back a week ago. On our first Saturday it was 96 and humid. Sunday felt a little cooler as there was a slight breeze. Even though there was very little crowds, we still had to wait for tour of buildings to start - out in the heat. And then many things to see are...out in the heat. Several, if not most, programs are also outside (Fife & Drum, Speeches, Indian dances, etc.).

Frankly, Saturday was brutal. Sunday only a tad better. I can't even imagine what it owuld be like in full summer with crowds and such. We got lucky and a storm blew thru Sunday night (or was it Monday night?) and took the super hot weather with it. The rest of the week, while warm, was quite nice/bearable.

You better have some way to wash clothes if you go during the summer. Sweat soaked clothes - and I mean soaked - do not keep well!

All that said, we had a great time and loved all we saw and did.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Williamsburg Weather

We were in Colonial Williamsburg this past weekend, June 26 - June 28. On Sunday it was 100 degrees and humid (at the same time it was almost 50 degrees cooler back home in San Francisco). We toured the town in the morning; in the afternoon we "chilled" by the pool at the Williamsburg Inn (we stayed at the Providence Guesthouses). We returned briefly Monday morning before heading to the airport.

We caught many of the highlights but of course did not cover everything. That was OK with us. You do what you need to do under the circumstances. Only you know your tolerance for heat.

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Williamsburg Weather

Thank you mono, quilter & fog for all the good tips....we considered ditching our plans for heading down next Friday but my daughter is hooked on going(especially because of 4th of july festivities) and we're not sure when schedules would permit for another time; honestly, the kids and I do not tolerate the heat well (my husband is the exception) so we will make the best of it and do what we can do; it is our first trip there so we can always go again. Also i looked into the weather online and it said they are in a heatwave and it should be breaking soon so i'm keeping my fingers crossed for that! Someone I was talking to yesterday gave a tip also, to bring a cooler into the room and keep it packed with ice and to soak some towels in water, then in the cooler to put on the back of our necks; i have a feeing they wouldn't last long though! Thanks again, keep the tips coming :) Kathy

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Williamsburg Weather

Wow, if your daughter is keen to go to Williamsburg, you should follow her lead, imho. She's on to something, and the rest of the family can benefit!

I think you have the right idea -- go for a few highlights and don't worry about *productivity*, meaning seeing and doing everything. You could pick one core thing to see each morning and each afternoon. The Capitol, for politics. The Governor's Palace, for the not-so-subtle dominance of the English. Great Hopes Plantation for rural life among the *middling sort*. The Wythe or Randolph house for the town life of colonial leaders.

Then, having endured the weather and the line and seen the core attraction, you could decide on the spot whether to bail until the next attraction, split up according to stamina, or keep on going.

Although I think Revolutionary City is a fine program, it is right out in the middle of the street -- with all that implies for exposure to the weather -- and it can be crowded and difficult to hear the dialogue. If you are in dire straits stamina-wise, skip it.

When you bail on standing and walking outside, there are two really good things to do indoors: the 45-minute movie "Williamsburg, The Story of a Patriot" at the Visitor Center and the pair of museums under the mental hospital roof. You can use the shuttle to each.

Hot or cold, wet or dry, Colonial WIlliamsburg is a beautiful and rewarding place and you can get a lot out of it AND keep your health and sanity, with the right pace! Good luck.

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Williamsburg Weather

Thank you again mono! Yes she is destined to get there, history is her fave subject in middle school; my son in high school loves it also, but the thought of the heat keeps him from being as gun-ho lol. We will be fine, just do what we can and not push ourselves. Have you been to Water Country? I didn't want to waste time there thinking it would be super crowded with the heat wave, there is a pool at Woodlands and that should suffice. Thanks again and I'll be back to report on our trip!! Kathy

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Williamsburg Weather

Hi, sorry, I know nothing about the water and amusement aspects of the area -- in the arc of my life, they are relatively new developments. But have a g-r-e-a-t trip and we'd all love to hear back from you!

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Williamsburg Weather

Thank you! I'll be in touch! :)