We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches near Williamsburg?

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Walnutport...
Level Contributor
40 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches near Williamsburg?

I'm trying to get my ducks in a row for a week long trip in August.

Can anyone tell me the closest public beach area to The Williamsburg Plantation Resort? We would rather not drive to Virginia Beach. Something with public bath houses would be great! I know my grandkids will want to spend at least a few hours playing in the water other than water country or the pool.

Also I need info on the Jamestown Ferry. Where do you get the ferry? How long of a ride?What is there to do at the destination? Is there a beach area in Jamestown or Surry? Thanks in Advance!

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
295 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches near Williamsburg?

The Yorktown beach is very close

www.virginia.org/site/description.asp…

Not sure if it has a bathrooom or changing areas, but it is very close, on a river, and not the traffic or madhouse of Virginia Beach.

Here is info on the ferry

virginiadot.org/travel/ferry-jamestown-direc…

It is basically used to "get to the other side", but you could do it round trip. Fun and free. The Surry House Restaurant is in Surry and could be a destiniation for lunch and then return back on the ferry. They used to have killer ham biscuits and peanut pie, but I haven't been in 20 years. You may want to check on TA for the reviews.

http://www.surreyhouserestaurant.com/

Edited: 03 July 2010, 13:27
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches near Williamsburg?

There is a York Riverfront beach at Yorktown. It is pleasant, but nothing like Virginia Beach oceanfront.

The Jamestown ferry continues just past the entrance to Jamestown Settlement on Jamestown Road. No beaches in Jamestown and none that I know of in Surry.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,732 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches near Williamsburg?

For more info about the Jamestown-Scotland ferry, check out the top questions on the upper right of this page: " I've heard about the free car ferry. Please tell me more?"

Buckroe Beach in Hampton is on the Chesapeake Bay. I don't know what facilities they have, however. Here's a link: www.virginia.org/site/description.asp…

Central VA
Level Contributor
90 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches near Williamsburg?

We went to Buckroe Beach in August and won't be back. There is a bathroom and foot wash shower thingy there, but in August we found LOTs of jellyfish.

There were lots of jellyfish, one every few feet on the sand, and maybe about 20 feet apart in the water. Turn your back for a second and one would be floating up onto you.

This really freaked out my little kids they didn't want to get stung.

Also the neighborhood was a bit marginal

There is a Noaa site on jellyfish forecast in case you do want to check out buckroe beach., they are much more prevalent in the bay than say at Virginia Beach.

5. Re: Beaches near Williamsburg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2011, 07:17