We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring flowers in March?

erie
Level Contributor
111 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Spring flowers in March?

I'll be in Florida for an event March 16-21 and would like to plan a stop in Williamsburg a few days either before the 16th or after the 21st hopefully to see the spring gardens/flowers in bloom ... I know it is difficult to predict depending on weather ... but what is the norm. Can anyone advise. Thanks.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,861 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring flowers in March?

Late March would find more plants in bloom. No weather guarantees - we have had snow as late as April, but generally late March will find more than a promise of spring and can be quite lovely.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,504 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring flowers in March?

A quick idea for you to research since I'm thinking just generally w/o research just now...the garden festival in Savannah is end of March and the Azalea Festival in Charleston is April 1 for a couple of weeks and they can bloom even before the festival.

erie
Level Contributor
111 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring flowers in March?

Thanks for your replies...

I was wondering if the spring bulb flowers would be in bloom(like tulips/daffodils)....here in NW PA they can start very late March( if weather is warm) and continue into April/May....I wasn't sure of how much sooner in the Williamsburg area ... To plan a visit for spring flowers would I be safe to consider mid to late April. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,504 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring flowers in March?

Well, once you are getting into April...you have Historic Garden Week In Virginia. Sometimes there's been rain, sometimes some blooms not out or some just starting but oftentimes a lovely setting with lots of blooms on ground and all the flowering trees. So that general time period is great. I have met people who plan their annual vacation around it every year and people who come from all over the world for it.

http://www.vagardenweek.org/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring flowers in March?

*Spring flowers* is a pretty big category and if you don't zoom in any closer than that, you'll be happy with mid-March. The minor bulbs begin blooming about mid-February. The annual (I think 65th annual in 2011!) Garden Symposium in scheduled for April 10-11 next year and could arguably be called the climax of the season.

Have a great trip!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,276 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring flowers in March?

Typically, tulips in March, foxglove in April, pomegranite in April/ May. Gardens are in full bloom starting in late March.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,276 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring flowers in March?

Oops, meant full bloom in late May. We've seen beautiful gardens from late March, although limited to tulips in March.

Edited: 26 December 2010, 13:35
Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring flowers in March?

Here's a link to the Gloucester Daffodil Festival. It is on March 26th and 27th this year, rain or shine.

…gloucester.va.us/pr/events/df/homepage.html

Ranson, West...
Level Contributor
535 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring flowers in March?

And to add to the wonderful replies so far, the daffodils always bloom here in March as well.

erie
Level Contributor
111 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring flowers in March?

Thank you everyone for your replies...much appreciated. The information will greatly help in my planning.