We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding Spring Break Crowds in Williamsburg

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
173 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Avoiding Spring Break Crowds in Williamsburg

Anyone have any idea as to when Spring Break begins in VA? DH and I are thinking of a short trip to Williamsburg maybe early/mid March but would like to avoid the Spring Break crowds.

Weather in 2nd week of March?

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding Spring Break Crowds in Williamsburg

Depending on the county, school spring breaks in Virginia are generally the week before Easter or the week after Easter. This year that puts it in April.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding Spring Break Crowds in Williamsburg

Hi, cheesi -- I can't answer your question about Virginia schools, but I do have a thought. The so-called *crowds* of Spring break (not that big a deal, in my opinion) are just one factor.

From New Year's to mid-March is Colonial Williamsburg's winter season, which is to say the period of less activity, shorter hours and more closures.

If you are coming for solitude and a low-key experience, low season is marvelous. If you want to see everything and enjoy extensive programming, high season is better.

As for weather, you can check weather.com for data on daily averages.

Best for a fine trip!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding Spring Break Crowds in Williamsburg

It is not the VA spring break you need to worry about, it is everyone's spring break as CW is a popular destination. But even so, it should not be a worry.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,171 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding Spring Break Crowds in Williamsburg

Spring Break is really not an issue. However, school group visits usually take place Tuesdays thru Thursday. This can be a bigger impact before of after "spring break".

Collegeville, Pa.
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding Spring Break Crowds in Williamsburg

Would like to know what there is to do in Williamsburg in Feb. We are four adults taking an 8 and 9 yr. old for about 4 nights. Are many things closed and do the the costumed actors still walk around Williamsburg during day hours. I so enjoyed this last Oct., but realize that Feb. will be different. Would like to know if Wich trial is still reenacted during Feb., I also enjoyed this. We also had planned on going to Jamestown. Is there enough to do in Feb. with two young boys?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding Spring Break Crowds in Williamsburg

Would you consider posting this as a new query? It's a very good topic and shouldn't get buried under *Spring Break*, as it will if you leave it here. Thanks!

Collegeville, Pa.
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoiding Spring Break Crowds in Williamsburg

Thanks Nomonoloco for your advice. I reposted under Feb. activities in Williamsburg. Hope to get some answers,. Thanks

Ranson, West...
Level Contributor
535 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoiding Spring Break Crowds in Williamsburg

Spring breaks aren't until April so you won't have those to worry about for your March trip. Have fun!

Iowa
Level Contributor
299 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoiding Spring Break Crowds in Williamsburg

Go to www.history.org (Colonial Williamsburg's website) and put your dates into the calendar on the website to see what activities will be available. There is always plenty to do although some buildings may be closed for maintenance, and some of the taverns will probably be closed as well. As a local, February is my favorite time here; restaurants are not crowded and usually the tours in the restored buildings are longer because there are no long lines waiting to enter.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
173 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoiding Spring Break Crowds in Williamsburg

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Good point neslaw1 about worrying about others' Spring Break schedules.

Thanks CTDesign on the comment about the school trips I hadn't even thought of that issue. Will certainly take that into consideration on the travel plans.