We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florida woman indicted for scamming vacationers

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,865 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Florida woman indicted for scamming vacationers

Anybody remember back from 2009 an company calling itself My Favorite Vacations? The person running the outfit would accept reservations and money for timeshares here in the Williamsburg area, and also in Florida, but never pass along the reservations and money to the timeshares. Vacationers would turn up at the timeshare, who knew nothing about their "reservation." Well, the woman responsible, Maria Rosso, was arrested in Florida in late 2009. More recently, she was indicted in James City County.

"A woman arrested more than a year ago in Florida on charges of selling fake vacation packages in the Williamsburg area as well as other states was indicted on two felony counts by a local grand jury on Wednesday."

You can read more here: dailypress.com/news/…2193644.story

Just a cautionary tale, I guess. You have to be careful about who you are dealing with. Fortunately, we haven't heard of similar scams in this area for a while. May it ever be so!

Ranson, West...
Level Contributor
535 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florida woman indicted for scamming vacationers

Thanks for the update. I do remember all of that happening. Good to know that justice was served.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,519 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florida woman indicted for scamming vacationers

Yes, she was all over the country scamming people. Thanks for the update.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florida woman indicted for scamming vacationers

Yep, I remember that. I hope they don't let her go. Thanks for the update.

Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florida woman indicted for scamming vacationers

I'd be willing to bet she isn't really a so-called Florida woman as the title says. Unfortunately, people come here from other parts of the U.S. and other countries for the purpose of setting up scams and other shady activities. That's probably the case with this Maria Rosso person.

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florida woman indicted for scamming vacationers

To answer the post about whether she is a "Florida Woman", I checked the article posted by zoey. It says the following:

Maria Antoinette Rosso, 61, of Pompano Beach, Fla., operated My Favorite Resorts, an online travel agency that advertised resort vacation packages. Rosso was arrested by Broward County, Fla., Sheriff's Office deputies in October 2009 on seven charges of grand theft related to the fake vacation sales.

6. Re: Florida woman indicted for scamming vacationers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2012, 06:16