We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

things to do in Jamestown/Williamburg area with 9 year old

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Frederick, Maryland
4 posts
Save Topic
things to do in Jamestown/Williamburg area with 9 year old

We have our condo and we will drive so we need out of the way, little known places to visit with a 9 year old boy. We will do Busch Gardens of course and all the historical places. What out of the ordinary places in a days travel would be interesting for our family of 7 with just one child?

Ranson, West...
Level Contributor
535 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: things to do in Jamestown/Williamburg area with 9 year old

Hi Dahlias!

If you have the time for it, I strongly recommend the Virginia Living Museum (http://www.thevlm.org/), The Mariners' Museum (http://marinersmuseum.org/), and/or the VA Air & Space Center (http://vasc.org/). Great for anyone who loves animals & the outdoors, boats & ships, and/or planes, jets & space shuttles. They are in Newport News & Hampton, respectively- Newport News being about 20 min from Williamsburg, & Hampton about 30 min. Don't let the terms 'museum' & 'center' fool you into thinking these are stagnant boring places- they are full of active hands-on fun, my 10 year old son LOVES each of these places. And all of them are good full-day activities in themselves. I included the links so that you can check them out.

When will you be traveling? And how long will you have in the area? This will better help us to gage what can fit into your schedule. There may be some cool local outdoor events or festivals we can point you toward.

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: things to do in Jamestown/Williamburg area with 9 year old

Be sure and read the "Top questions about WILLIAMSBURG" listing at the right of this page. There's good information there about kid friendly things to do while in the area.

Frederick, Maryland
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: things to do in Jamestown/Williamburg area with 9 year old

We have early August reservations for 4 nights. Plenty of time I think. Your suggestions seem "right on" for us. It is a family trip with grandparents, aunt, uncle and parents. Parents plan to take Nate to Busch Gardens one day but we want this and all our trips to be educational . We will have two cars available so we can take separate side trips.

Frederick, Maryland
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: things to do in Jamestown/Williamburg area with 9 year old

Another question .....Reading 2008 posts on TripAdvisor indicate that there are live demonstrations in Williamsburg. However one person told me that Williamsburg no longer does live demonstrations. What can we expect in August 2011?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,790 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: things to do in Jamestown/Williamburg area with 9 year old

There are still demonstrations at Colonial Williamsburg with the interpreters using 18th century methods and materials. Silversmith, printer and foodways demonstrations are just a few. Not sure how anyone could get the impression that there are not demonstrations.

Is it four full days plus travel days at each end, or four nights including travel days? If you spend a couple of days at CW and a day of Busch Gardens, that leaves only a day for the other sites (two each at Jamestown and Yorktown). I was going to suggest taking the free ferry across the James River and explore the Isle of Wight, Smithfield, and Chippokes and have a meal at the Surrey House, but with time so short, you'd have to give up something else to do that.

Ranson, West...
Level Contributor
535 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: things to do in Jamestown/Williamburg area with 9 year old

Dahlias, I was under the impression you would have more time too when you mentioned doing BG 'and all the historical places', so I assumed you already had Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Settlement, & Historic Jamestowne, & maybe Yorktown covered. But with 4 days, I see that is not enough time to cover everything. In order for us to best help you plan, which places among 'the historical places' that you mentioned did you already have in mind for the trip?

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: things to do in Jamestown/Williamburg area with 9 year old

"Live demonstrations in Williamsburg" also includes Revolutionary City, live street theater presented on Duke of Gloucester Street, that portrays events up to and including the American Revolution. The presentations offer different vignettes over a three day period, and is included with any CW ticket. This 2 hour event is offered daily on a rotating basis and is in addition to the live demonstrations at each site, mentioned earlier by Zoey.

Frederick, Maryland
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: things to do in Jamestown/Williamburg area with 9 year old

We are driving from Maryland. We can spend more time in the area than the 4 nights reserved. We don't spend lots of time on dining. So give me any suggestions you think of and we will make our choices. We are thinking of spending more time in the Jamestown area than CW. The ferry trip is a cool idea...new for all of us.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
572 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: things to do in Jamestown/Williamburg area with 9 year old

To do Jamestown justice, I would normally recommend spending a full day there visiting both sites. Since your time is limited you may want to do as most do and cram it all into a half day. This would put you at the ferry if you want to spend the other half visiting the Surrey area. CW is the site that requires the most time to visit, two days minimum if possible.

When you mentioned "condo" as the place you would be staying, one automatically assumes that means a full week. It may be difficult to do all the activities suggested here in four days, so prioritize based on your particular interests.

Port Jefferson, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: things to do in Jamestown/Williamburg area with 9 year old

After all the obvious, We did the ghosts of Williamsburg tour, it is a candlelight tour and very interesting, we walked around Colonial Williamsburg at night and the guide told stories of ghost in Coloinal times. Adults and kids (11, 9, 8, 8, 6) all loved it ! We are going again this year and would. love to find another one so its not the same .