We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Williamsburg with a 2 year old over 4th of July Weekend?

Arlington, Virginia
14 posts
Save Topic
Williamsburg with a 2 year old over 4th of July Weekend?

Hi-

My MIL is visiting us for about a month this summer and we are considering taking a long weekend and going to Williamsburg. We have a VERY active, very short attention span (but sweet and charming) 2 1/2 year old. I am under no illusions that the 2 1/2 year old will enjoy Williamsburg-it's a trip for my MIL. Are we crazy to think of doing this?

Is there a place to stay within walking distance from CW so that I could go back to the hotel with DS in the afternoon and give him a nap and DH and MIL could continue to see things?

Ranson, West...
Level Contributor
535 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Williamsburg with a 2 year old over 4th of July Weekend?

Have you been to Colonial Williamsburg before? I wouldn't be too quick to assume your 2-year-old will be bored & antsy. Sure, things like house tours & such might not be for him. But there is so much for kids to enjoy too, lots of interactive & fun things. And you can certainly find a good balance of things that both your MIL & your DS will enjoy. Take a look in the upper right corner of this page at the 'Top Questions about Williamsburg', there is plethora of information for the question 'Will Kids Enjoy Williamsburg'.

As another subject- sure, 2 year olds need their naps, I remember those days! Are you bringing a stroller? We LOVED our little umbrella stroller, as the little one could fall asleep as we continued to enjoy things. And it wasn't too big & bulky to push around a populated area. So he may be able to grasp his nap without the trouble of returning to the hotel. Just a few thoughts.

Also take a look at the Calendar of Events for the days of your visit. Here is the link history.org/visit/…show_undefined It will be extremely helpful in planning your visit, it also codes which activities are 'kid-friendly' & describes them- you know your son & his interests- so you can plan according to what you think would captivate him & include it in your time there.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
572 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Williamsburg with a 2 year old over 4th of July Weekend?

I personally would not bring a two year old to CW during the hottest, busiest weekend of the year. If you have the option to come another weekend, even though busy as it is during the summer, could be a better choice. Yes, there are activities for children but little for toddlers that would occupy them more than 5 minutes at a time. How long does looking at a sheep or cow hold the attention of a two year old? If you do come, please stay at one of CWs hotels: Williamsburg Inn, The Williamsburg Lodge, Colonial Houses or Woodlands where you have easy access to the historic area and can go back and forth as needed.

Alabama
Level Contributor
703 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Williamsburg with a 2 year old over 4th of July Weekend?

I think your child would find lots of things to see and explore in Colonial Williamsburg and maybe even more so in Jamestown. Having said that, my family just returned from a week there and let me tell you...it gets HOT! I'm from Alabama, so I'm no stranger to heat, but when temperatures are in the mid-90s and you are out walking a lot and standing in an un-air conditioned blacksmith/brickmaker/basket weavers shed it is exhausting. I would suggest you get to an attraction first thing in the morning when it opens and is cooler, and stay at a hotel close by, as others have commented, so you can easliy go home for a while to cool down, eat and nap.

Ranson, West...
Level Contributor
535 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Williamsburg with a 2 year old over 4th of July Weekend?

I respectfully beg to differ Catneal. My son very much enjoyed himself there when he was 2. He is now almost 11, so they've added even more children's activities over the past 9 years since his first visit at that age, which also just happened to be July 4. Just depends on the child, & the amount of planning & preparation involved. IMHO. =)

(I do however agree to stay in a CW hotel nearby that offers shuttle service, in case the stroller nap does not pan out.)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
407 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Williamsburg with a 2 year old over 4th of July Weekend?

My family and i went a few years back in the summer and they did not enjoy Colonial Williamsburg. Part of the problem was that it was ridiculously hot and humid and most of the things were outside. We must have spent $50 on water for the 5 of us. The kids were 13, 9, and 6 at the time.

Just my $.02.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Williamsburg with a 2 year old over 4th of July Weekend?

Sounds like the lesson there is to bring your own water bottles (yes, that's allowed) and fill them at the water fountains you'll find around the Historic Area. Or buy one or two of the refillable mugs, which can then be refilled with fountain beverages, slushies, etc., for no additional charge at various locations in the HA.

The museums (in the Publick Hospital building) are air-conditioned and have several excellent permanent and temporary exhibits, including some geared towards kids, that are great when you're wanting to escape the hottest part of the day.

7. Re: Williamsburg with a 2 year old over 4th of July Weekend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 17:18