We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

november trip with kids-ds10 and dd7 more ?

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
julie1218
Level Contributor
173 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
november trip with kids-ds10 and dd7 more ?

i've gone through the williamsburg calendar carefully for our dates (11/9-12) and listed what i think the kids would be interested in. some of these items may be overlapping, as i haven't put things on the itinerary yet--just listed potential events for us to do.

can you please give me any input on these or let me know of any gems that i have missed?

DAY

children's orientation tour

order in the court

public audience with a founding father

Revolutionary City (3 different programs during our stay)

pleasures of the dance

making ornaments

EVENING

Listen, My Children: Legends, Myths and Fables for Families

spooks and legends ghost tour OR tavern ghost walk OR ghosts among us

cry witch--not sure if this is appropriate

courage or cowardice

dance our dearest diversion

my kids are well behaved and can quietly sit through "adult" events if the event is considered "adult" due to most kids getting antsy. however, if the event is considered "adult" because it's disturbing, i might re-think.

thank you for any advice.

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: november trip with kids-ds10 and dd7 more ?

Good choices, mostly. The daytime events have varying start times, so you should be able to get them all in and see the historic trade shops and buildings as well. All three Revolutionary City programs may be a little long for the children -- it is staged outdoor oratory which tends to get difficult for younger kids to follow.

For evening programs, Listen My children is excellent. Of the ghost walks mentioned, Tavern Ghost Walk is excellent and the best -- Spooks and Legends is not a Colonial Williamsburg tour, and Ghosts Among Us is not suitable for children because of the subject matter -- CW does not even sell a kids ticket for this event. Courage or Cowardice is a good program, so long as the youngsters can understand the consequences of military duty. Dance, our Dearest Diversion is another excellent program.

Try to include dinner at one of the CW Taverns -- you and the kids will enjoy this unique experience as well.

julie1218
Level Contributor
173 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: november trip with kids-ds10 and dd7 more ?

is the revolutionary city more like an outdoor play or more like listening to speeches while being outside?

julie1218
Level Contributor
173 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: november trip with kids-ds10 and dd7 more ?

what would be the best tavern(s) to eat in? we don't care much about the food quality (as long as its semi-edible). we would be eating there more for the experience.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,743 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: november trip with kids-ds10 and dd7 more ?

For a tavern meal with your children,, I'd recommend either Kings Arms or Shields. The food is generally much better than "semi-edible"; you can check the menus to see what appeals on the CW website: colonialwilliamsburg.com/visit/…index.cfm

I'll second the recommendation for the Tavern Ghost Walk. Dance, Our Dearest Diversion is very good, with audience participation on a volunary basis. The times I've been, the dancers pay special attention to the children in the audience, which makes it more fun for the younger set.

julie1218
Level Contributor
173 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: november trip with kids-ds10 and dd7 more ?

are the games after 9 pm chownings appropriate for kids? do families go there after 9 pm? do any of the taverns have any sort of entertainment going on besides chownings after 9 pm?

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: november trip with kids-ds10 and dd7 more ?

Revolutionary City is an interactive theater with colonial characters discussing events up to and including the American Revolution, while the audience "participates" with their enthusiasm or dislike for the issues that led up to our seeking independence.

The gaming and entertainment at Chownings, known as Gambols, after 9 p.m., are adult themed and not intended for children.

All of the taverns have balladiers and people from the past that stroll through the dining rooms, entertaining and interacting with guests. I agree with Zoey that Shields and Kings Arms would be great for your family, and the food is excellent. Both have menus for children, too.

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: november trip with kids-ds10 and dd7 more ?

I bought a book at the bookstore in the Visitor Center which explains the story behind each day's Rev City activities. You might give some thought to purchasing this and reading with the kids before you see the programs so that they will start out with a good understanding of the events.

Wichita, Kansas...
Level Contributor
217 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: november trip with kids-ds10 and dd7 more ?

What's the name of the book and can I buy it ahead of time?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,743 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: november trip with kids-ds10 and dd7 more ?

I think it's called Revolutionary City, and you can order it online from the Colonial Williamsburg site: http://tinyurl.com/3saz9fc

I converted it to a tinyurl because it was too long to work otherwise. The book is $12.95 plus shipping.

Iowa
Level Contributor
299 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: november trip with kids-ds10 and dd7 more ?

Be sure to check out the children/family events at the Museums of Colonial Williamsburg. The scheduled events can be found in the weekly printed CW guide. Many of the activities are "hands-on" that children can make and take with them.