We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip to Williamsburg, VA from NYC

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip to Williamsburg, VA from NYC

It's been a while since I've had a vacation and now that i'm planning it, of course I come back to you guys on TRIP ADVSIOR. How i've missed you.

I plan on visiting Wililamsburg, VA. I have a week Off in May and plan on driving down to VA. Since it will be either 3 or 4 of us I thought renting a car would be best. I am wondering how long will it take to drive down there and what's the best route.

Williamsburg was chosen since its far but not too far that it cant all be done within a week. I know it might take about a day or 8 hours driving each way. We plan on visiting BUSCH GARDENS, the historical sites and anywhere else you guys recommend since you are awesome!

I also thought about taking the amtrak down to VA williamsburg and then renting car down there. Cost seems to run at 761 total for the week. 4 round trip tickets at 496 and265 for full size rental (hoping i get nissan altima)

any suggestions on sites, road pit stops or sites to see. Scenic route option coming back would be great also. I think i'll be doing all the driving since my friends are either just getting their license (only with a permit) and haven't driven at all in YEARS. I don't want to stretch msyelf too much and get all cranky and start off my vacation wrong. The further I've even DRIVEN was from NYC to Berkshires in MA. No pit stops, no food....tired...SUPER CRANKY.

We are all young in our late teens to late 20's and want to just spend some time away from NYC. Is Viriginia Beach a possibility for a one day outing? Is there any other interesting pointes to stop and see along the way or something we MUST see at Williamsburg?

thanks ahead for all the replies.

NJ
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip to Williamsburg, VA from NYC

I would say rent a car and skip Amtrak; its a full day's trip as the train doesn't until mid-morning. I took it once from Newark, and as the train didn’t leave until 11:30am or thereabouts, we didn’t get in until 7 pm (an hour late). the train stops for an hour or so in DC, and I don’t remember but it either switches from electric to diesel or vice versa, and the second leg is quite slow. Also, if I remember correctly, CSX owns the tracks, so freight trains have first priority, so you sometimes sit and wait for them to go by.

I live in NJ; Morris County, and its about a 7.5-8 hour drive from me. The most direct route is straight down 95 to Richmond, then cutting over to 295 and 64, but I go west, through PA and MD, which adds about 20 miles onto the drive, but in time and tolls, its well worth it. I think its close to $30 RT for tolls on 95; going through PA etc. it’s $1 one way, from NJ to PA.

Just be aware, I don’t know exactly how old you are, but many car rental co’s won’t rent to anyone under a certain age, 25 maybe, and those under that age can’t drive the car either, so that may be a problem for you. If that doesn’t work, you could always take the train to DC and maybe stay over and see the sights, then get back on and head down to Wburg.

As far as what to see, what are you interested in? historic sites? Shopping? Other touristy stuff? Virginia beach is definitely doable for the day; its about an hour and a half, maybe a bit more, depending on time of day and traffic. Others may have better suggestions for what to see and do. I don’t really notice stuff on my way down and back, I 'm just anxious to get there and see my mom!

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip to Williamsburg, VA from NYC

Baltimore is a great place to stop on the way. You could also stop by Richmond, which is about 1 hour away from Williamsburg. I agree with the above poster that VA Beach is definitely doable as a day trip. We've done it lots of times (we live here in Williamsburg). Just be careful of traffic. Without traffic you're looking at 1.5 hours.

As far as things to do in Williamsburg, I'd be happy to help...just need to know what kinds of things you are interested in.

Annandale
Level Contributor
40 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip to Williamsburg, VA from NYC

All good recommendations and I would add that this being the Civil War Sesquicentennial, beyond the obvious Colonial & Revolutionary War history of the area, you might want to visit a Civil War battlefield. In the spring1862, from Yorktown to within 6 miles of Richmond were fought a dozen battles (including one at Williamsburg) as the Union army tried (unsuccessfully obviously) to end the war quickly.

To me, anyone coming this way MUST put away their smart phone and at least walk around Colonial Williamsburg and look out over a battlefield. When you think about what they went through everyday, it casts our cushy 21st century lives in a completely new light.

NYC
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip to Williamsburg, VA from NYC

Thanks for all the responses.

Unfortunately we weren't able to get any RCI resorts at Williamsburg, we are now bound for mcgaheysville. I got the car all set with unlimited milage from Budget and I'm not looking to reroute my trip to the surrounding area. I realized virigina beach is 4 hour drive- too much for a day trip.

I'm looking at visitng busch gardens and the historical sites around richmond or williamsburg. We are all city girls that need to get away from the hustle and stress of NYC. All the girls are open to pretty much anything historic, arts, wine tasting, hiking, trails,

tripadvisor has always helped me have the best vacations. Don't fail me now!

5. Re: Road trip to Williamsburg, VA from NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2012, 16:44
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,790 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip to Williamsburg, VA from NYC

McGaheysville to Williamsburg is 3 hours each way, or close to it. Stick to Charlottesville and the surrounding area. There are a number of good wineries, shopping on the downtown pedestrian mall, Monticello, Ashlawn-Highland, Skyline Drive, Montpelier. Richmond could be a good day trip too.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip to Williamsburg, VA from NYC

I had posted a message last night, but I think my message got deleted because I posted a link to a website that I help manage.

At the beginninng of that message I had posted that there is a great winery in Barboursville, which is around Charlottesville. We went last year. I believe it was just called Barboursville Winery. And there is a great little sandwich shop there as well called Stonefire Station (stonefirestation.com/). It's very European and I highly recommend both places.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip to Williamsburg, VA from NYC

If you are now staying in McGaheysville, be sure to visit the nearby Shenandoah National Park - Skyline Drive area. There is beautiful scenery and hiking.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip to Williamsburg, VA from NYC

Will you be staying at Massanutten? That is in MaGaheysville....we stayed there years ago with our timeshare. Great family place, but may not be what young, single girls would be into....they do have things like kayaking and horseback riding nearby, and I believe there is a water park there now.....we loved the kayak trip. At any rate, Virginia is a beautiful state and I'm sure you will find plenty to do once you get there. Enjoy!

NYC
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road trip to Williamsburg, VA from NYC

Thanks everyone. I am definitely looking at SKyline Drive and visiting the Caverns. We are planning on visiting williamsburg for a day or two and visit the colonial stuff, busch gardens and maybe even virginia beach.

As long as we get away from NYC - the girls seem very happy,