We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from DC - Worth the effort?

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Forest, CA
5 posts
Save Topic
Day trip from DC - Worth the effort?

We will be visiting DC for 8 days in mid June. My 10 year old son REALLY wants to see Collonial Williamsburg AND the Virginia Air and Space Center in Hampton VA (he is a Space and NASA fanatic). We would be driving. I figured to do both we would have to leave DC before 6AM and not get back until after 10PM. I know it will be a VERY, VERY long day. Staying the night in Williamsburg isn't an option.

Is doing BOTH Collonial Williamsburg AND the Virginia Air and Space Center in Hampton VA even possible?

Thanks for any insight you might be able to provide.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,814 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from DC - Worth the effort?

Personally, I think that if you try to visit both Colonial Williamsburg and the Virginia Air and Space Center in one day, you will do both places a disservice. I would say that you need a minimum of one full day for Colonial Williamsburg if it is your first visit (and even then you won't be able to see everything.) It has been many years since I was at the Virginia Air and Space Center, but I think you'd need a minimum of 2- 3 hours for that (and more if you son is a space fanatic like me!).

I think it would make more sense to spend your entire day at Colonial Williamsburg and then visit the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum on the Mall and the Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum near Dulles Airport. (Did you know that the space shuttle Discovery was just put on display there? I saw them fly it here a couple weeks ago--totally cool!) If you are using a rental car, keep it to drive to Udvar-Hazy as the public transportation options out there are not the best.

As I said, it has been many years since I was at the Virginia Air and Space Center, but I think the exhibits you will see at the two Air and Space Museums in D.C. will equal, if not exceed, what you will see at the VASC. And there's no admission fee to those Smithsonian museums although there is a $15 parking fee at Udvar-Hazy. That's still a lot less than you'd pay to go to VASC.

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from DC - Worth the effort?

Absolutely agree with everything Longhorn said. If you are up here in DC, go to Udvar-Hazy. You won't be disappointed.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from DC - Worth the effort?

I agree with Longhorn. To get the most out of Colonial Williamsburg, just do that. I agree that it would be too much to fit in the Hampton trip as well if it's your first time to both places.

4. Re: Day trip from DC - Worth the effort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 14:15