We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive From DC to Williamsburg

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boynton Beach...
9 posts
Save Topic
Drive From DC to Williamsburg

How long is the drive time from dc to Williamsburg?

Is it too long of a day to stop at mount Vernon on the way down?

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive From DC to Williamsburg

It's about two and a half hours from DC to Williamsburg, depending on traffic, which can be nightmarish at times -- I recently talked to a family who took six hours to get here because of tie ups on I-95.

A stop at Mount Vernon is definetly possible. Leaving DC in the morning should not be too difficult traffic wise -- stay at Mt. Vernon for a few hours, and then continue on to Williamsburg,

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive From DC to Williamsburg

I'd like to know if you are planning a day trip to Williamsburg or are staying longer. Where in the DC area you traveling from and are you returning? We avoid DC altogether when driving to Williamsburg and pick up I-95 at Fredericksburg.

I would spend 2 to 3 hours at Mount Vernon. A stop at the distillery down the road is worthwhile as well. These sites are a short distance off I-95.

You should plan to spend at least a day at Colonial Williamsburg and another at Jamestown and perhaps Yorktown.

Boynton Beach...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive From DC to Williamsburg

We are spending several days in the Williamsburg area. The plan is to pick up a car in DuPont circle, spend a few hours at mt Vernon, and then continue down to Williamsburg. I have not researched the best route for that. On the way back several days later we will just drop off the car in DuPont circle and spend a few more day in dc.

So overal our plan is:

3 nights in dc

Then 4 nights in williamburg

Then 2 more in dc

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive From DC to Williamsburg

You will find traffic in the DC area to be as bad (if not worse) as you experience at home. Morning rush can last until 10 am and afternoon rush can start anytime. Th only practical way for you to travel is I-95 south to the Richmond bypass to I-64 east to williamsburg. You may encounter traffic on I-95 as far south as Fredericksburg.

You can easily stop at Mt Vernon either before or after Williamsburg, whichever suits your schedule.

Three days will provide a good taste of what Williamsburg has to offer.

5. Re: Drive From DC to Williamsburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 05:41