We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting restaurants in general area

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Interesting restaurants in general area

We are coming down this weekend, staying in Newport News/Yorktown area, also visiting Jamestown and Williamsburg. We are looking for good local/regional food (not "tourist" food, not chains). Seafood, BBQ, ham dishes, stuffed ham, etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,790 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting restaurants in general area

Food for Thought, The Cove Tavern, Five Forks Diner or Honeybutter's Kitchen. Some of the places around Merchants Square are unique and good but do draw a lot of tourists along with a mix of locals, such as Blue Talon or the Fat Canary. Second Street - An American Bistro is usually good as well.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interesting restaurants in general area

Thanks Zoey! That sounds like a lot to try.

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting restaurants in general area

One of Colonial Williamsburg's Taverns are worthy of a visit. Christiana Campbells, Shields, Kings Arms and Chownings Taverns are all located in the historic area. Shields, Kings Arms and Chownings serve lunch; all serve dinner. Reservations are usually necessary for dinner -- call 1-800 HISTORY (447-8679) to make reservations.

Enjoy your visit.

Toano, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interesting restaurants in general area

I love the Carrot Tree (in Williamsburg near Jamestown, and in Yorktown) for lunch and dessert, or the Old Chickahominy House in Williamsburg for a big breakfast or Brunswick Stew with VA Ham biscuits. Another great place a little off the beaten path is Charly's restaurant at the Williamsburg-Jamestown Airport. You can have a great sandwich and good conversation with the locals who work there, and watch little planes take off. (My son loves it!).

I have always preferred smaller, cozy restaurants, although I will "second" (groan!) the recommendation for Second Street.

Edited: 23 May 2012, 19:58
Malaga
Level Contributor
244 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interesting restaurants in general area

Is there music in any restaurant or tavern?

Dancing?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
572 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interesting restaurants in general area

I second CassondraKO's recommendations if you are looking for interesting places with good food a bit off the beaten track (except Second Street).

7. Re: Interesting restaurants in general area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 07:41