We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bluegreen Timeshare presentations in Williamsburg VA

Georgetown, KY
Level Contributor
55 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Bluegreen Timeshare presentations in Williamsburg VA

My husband bought a 2 night "vacation" deal ($149) from Bass Pro that offered several places to visit if you sit thru their presentation that they PROMISE is no more than an hour and half. We are staying at Patrick Henry, and Wanted to know how long to expect and what to expect with the presenation. A coworker told me they will keep you there for over 3 hours. We arrive on Friday, and the presentation is sometime on Saturday, (wont tell us what time until we sign in) and we leave on Sunday. So the only "WHole" day will be consumed with their presentation. Hopefully it will be early and short and sweet.

Anyone sat thru this before?

Moorestown, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bluegreen Timeshare presentations in Williamsburg VA

I sat through one timeshare presentation in my life and it was enough for me to realize it wasn't for me. My presentation was supposed to be for an hour and the next thing i knew 3 hours went by (and they still weren't finished). What was worse is after that I still had about 4 days left of vacation and everytime I walked past these people for the remainder of my stay they hounded me. It was enough to know not to do that again. So unless you're actually interested in getting a timeshare don't do a timeshare presentation. It sounds good and you think it won't be that big of a deal but rarely will you say no to them and have them actually say ok and let you leave. Especially if you are there on a great deal to begin with. It's as if they own you for agreeing to come there.

Hartsdale, New York
Level Contributor
107 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bluegreen Timeshare presentations in Williamsburg VA

Sorry to see you've been roped into one of these. Just a little advice: if you do get stuck with them making offer after offer, no matter how good they make it look you can almost definitely get a better deal in the after-market.

It would be nice to see if these marketing companies or timeshare salespeople can ever be held accountable for breach of contract. Meaning, your 'contract' with them was for a 90-minute presentation and they almost always keep you for significantly more. The only time that they did not keep me for longer was when I went in with the intention to buy and told them so up front (I had an offer on paper that I wanted). Then they couldn't get me out of there fast enough.

I imagine that if you don't go to the presentation or leave early they will withhold their incentives (presumably claiming something along the lines of breach of contract). They'll most likely threaten you with that if you decide to leave at the 90-minute mark.

Maybe someone with real legal experience and some knowledge about timeshare sales antics can chime in with some more info?

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bluegreen Timeshare presentations in Williamsburg VA

If you can have someone start calling your cellphone every five minutes once your 1.5 hours are up, it will help. Otherwise set the alarm on your phone and fake a call. You can explain that you are meeting someone.

The sales people really don't want to waste time with anyone who won't buy. After your required time for the presentation, keep saying no to any purchase suggestions. Tell them you need to make a car purchase, college tuition, support a parent, anything that is more important than buying into their program. Simply don't appear too interested in the product and they won't be too interested in you.

Edited: 13 June 2012, 04:40
Georgetown, KY
Level Contributor
55 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bluegreen Timeshare presentations in Williamsburg VA

I appreciate the cell phone tip. How clever.

Our gift is $125 in Bass Pro gift cards and that really does interest me very much!

rod
Marshall, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bluegreen Timeshare presentations in Williamsburg VA

Print this information out, take it with you to the sales pitch, and reread it before signing anything! This will be a high-pressure meeting.

Bluegreen is a points-based timeshare system - any timeshare the salesperson tries to sell you is worth a given number of points. You then exchange your points for a week in a timeshare within the Bluegreen system.

Over the first two weeks of June, 2012, 26 Bluegreen timeshares, with values ranging from 5,000 points to 22,000 points, have actually sold on eBay. The average selling price for these 26 timeshares was $22.50 per 1,000 Bluegreen points. So, if the salesperson is trying to sell you a timeshare worth 10,000 points, you can buy an equivalent timeshare for about $225.00 (plus closing costs) on the resale market.

The absolute top price paid on eBay during these two weeks was $1,950.00 (plus $600.00 closing costs) for 16,000 points. The next highest price paid was $826.00 (plus $298.00 closing costs) for 15,000 points. The lowest price paid was $1.00 (plus $549.00 closing costs) for 22,000 points.

Also, remember the annual fees involved in owning a timeshare.

Edited: 15 June 2012, 05:03
Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bluegreen Timeshare presentations in Williamsburg VA

You might want to go to TUG. TUG is a website for the Timehare Users Group.

There are many articles on the site and many postings. I don't know if any cover leaving a presentation early but give it a try

http://www.tug2.net/advice/faq.htm

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bluegreen Timeshare presentations in Williamsburg VA

A $125 gift card for 90 minutes' torture works out to $1.39 a minute.

But if they keep you 2 hours it's $1.04 a minute

3 hours is 69 cents a minute.

We did one of these many years ago where we needed their voucher to pay for our hotel.

Never, EVER again.

They really were holding us hostage.

We could not leave until they validated our hotel voucher.

They did not want us to leave without purchasing.

We were NOT going to purchase.

4 hours into it, having been passed to 3 different people we were asked,

"Well, why the heck did you come here then?!"

Hello- idiots- free accommodation.

SO not worth the stress.

There is NO amount of money or any gift that anyone could give me

to sit through one of these things again.

My free time is priceless to me, especially on vacation.

Life's too short as it is... :)

8. Re: Bluegreen Timeshare presentations in Williamsburg VA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 08:15