We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virginia trip itinerary

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Virginia trip itinerary

Hi! Wanted to see what you think of our itinerary and ask for suggestions on meals during our travels. We will be doing 6 days in Virginia before heading to a SW Pennsylvania wedding. We start out Sunday July 29th and are coming from Central PA. Me, husband, kids age 9 and 11. And just so you know, my husband is dead set against Busch Gardens - we live near Hersheypark and just took the kids to Disney World 6 months ago so he says enough with the amusement parks. Staying at Great Wolf Lodge where the kids will be able to enjoy water slides and activities is the compromise, since I don't think it's fair to make them do history, history, history non-stop on vacation. :)

Sun: get up early drive to Mount Vernon spend afternoon (closes at 5 pm?) then drive to Williamsburg and Great Wolf Lodge.

Mon: CW, maybe taking a break mid day to enjoy GWL.

Tue: a.m. in Jamestown and Jamestown Settlement, let kids enjoy GWL for rest of day until Tavern dinner and ghost tour at CW

Wed: more touring at CW again with a possible break for GWL

Thur: get up and drive to Monticello spend night in Charlottesville.

Fri. Walk around UVA before heading to Luray Caverns en route to Ohiopyle State park in PA for friends' wedding weekend.

Does this seem appropriate? Will we have enough time to see the majority of CW and the other sites? Or maybe too much, and the kids will get bored?

I was planning on getting the 3 day multi-pass for CW and paying for Jamestown separately, since we weren't particularly interested in Yorktown. Is this the best deal considering we can get the multipass at a AAA discount, but not the bounce or triangle passes.

Any suggestions on places to stop and eat between Mount Vernon and Williamsburg (Fredericksburg or Richmond?) and also near Monticello and in Charlottesville? I've done some research and have ideas for Williamsburg -- though perhaps a good place for inexpensive breakfast would be nice. But having trouble otherwise. We would like to do sit down and my kids are happy any place they can get a good burger or wings. Hoping our only fast food will be the Five Guys in Alexandria right before we get to Mount Vernon, if we can avoid it otherwise.

Thanks!

Edited: 12 June 2012, 19:51
Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virginia trip itinerary

It is kinda spread out regarding CW. Why is he so against Busch Gardens Europe? Is it the money? Shopping? Dragging everyone around a park?

It is the most beautiful park in the world. If he changes his mind, then you'd go there Wednesday morning, be there when the gates open. Maybe if you drove the car and let him drink a few beers in the park.

Where to eat. You save money by stocking a cooler with bananas and OJ. I ate at Dots Back Inn in Richmond, and in Williamsburg I ate a nice salad at Fresh Market twice. Also visited a great Mexican restaurant called Taco Mexicali. See pictures of everything on my page.

http://www.nogodforme.com/Virginia2012.htm

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virginia trip itinerary

Reasons re: Busch Gardens - we've been there and weren't that impressed, and like I said, we do the amusement park thing quite often. I'm not going to change his mind, he want the focus of this trip to he the historical stuff.

CW was actually spread out on purpose, so as not to overload the kids and give them a break. Is this a bad idea? Or do we just have a lot more time then necessary to see CW?

I thought the first day we'd do all the basics (governor's, randolph, capitol, courthouse, etc) and get the lay of the land and our second day we'd do more of the tours/apprentice program for a more in depth visit.

I was only there once, many years ago as a teen with my parents and we only did one day. I just remember walking the streets, going into the shops, watching the blacksmith and taking the tour of the Governor's Mansion then doing a tavern dinner. It seems there is either so much more to do now, or that we just skimmed the surface as visitors. I want my kids to leave feeling like they've seen it all and really learned something without getting to the point of wanting to kill us for making them take the most boring and educational vacation ever. ;)

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
572 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virginia trip itinerary

Keep in mind that GWL is about 7 miles from CW, so when you say '"take a break" you may mean take an early departure since I doubt you will want to drive back and forth throughout the day.

The time you have allotted to CW is good for a visit with children of your ages. They will not be bored (there is no such thing at CW unless.....) especially this summer when there is so much programming geared toward children like Rev Quest, the Apprentice programs, the Powell house, etc. You will not be able to see and do everything that is offered but will be able to experience enough to give you and your children an appreciation for 18th century American history and a desire to visit again.

Your ticketing plans sound fine. Just obtain you CW vouchers at your AAA office because we no longer offer that discount on site. Aromas on Merchant Square is a popular, inexpensive breakfast when visiting CW. Pierce's Barbeque is near GWL and Jungle Jim's is next door, a typical chain restaurant. Michie Tavern is just below Monticello when visiting there.

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virginia trip itinerary

There's plenty to do, especially with the other touristy things like mini golf, and go-karts. I brought back the magazines that you usually find in the hotel lobby.

http://www.williamsburgmag.com/

and

http://www.gowilliamsburg.com/

Usually comes down to how much money you want to spend, and how much bickering of each other you can stand. The history stuff may be cool to parents, but to kids, they'll probably want to play. But you already know this, which is why you have time planned back to GWL.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virginia trip itinerary

Thanks! I didn't realize that GWL would be inconvenient to CW. I figured we'd go back and swim at the hottest part of the afternoon, then attend some of the evening programs at CW, but now I'm rethinking.

How about the one morning at Jamestown. Is that enough time to see most of it? I think the kids will enjoy the recreated settlement more than Historic Jamestown. Thoughts?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,733 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virginia trip itinerary

Generally, if you spend 3 to 5 hours at Jamestown Settlement, you'll be able to cover it pretty well. Some people can spend all day and it's not enough, others are done in two or three hours. See the movie, then spend some time at the outdoor spaces (fort, village, ships) and then look around at the museum exhibit. The kids will probably enjoy the Settlement more than Historic Jamestowne. On the other hand, who knows, you might find a budding archaeologist in one of your kids at the dig at HJ!

It's true that GWL is about 7 miles from Colonial Williamsburg, but traffic is seldom so bad that it would take more than 10 - 15 minutes to make the drive. Your plan to take a break in mid-afternoon, and then return to CW for the evening program, maybe dinner, is a pretty good one.

Aroma's is good for breakfast, and there are numerous pancake/breakfast places in Williamsburg. I can't recommend the IHOP out near GWL, but the one in town on Richmond Road is pretty good. Don't miss getting a snack at the Raleigh Tavern Bakery in CW, and maybe enjoy a lunch or dinner at one of CW's Tavern. They have menus posted on-line and also outside each tavern, which can help you decide on one. Recommend reservations for dinner at a tavern, but they're not needed (or available) at lunch. Food for Thought, on Richmond Road, is unique and is often recommended here.

In Fredericksburg, we always go to Carlos O'Kellys for Tex-Mex, but there are a lot of good choices just off the highway.

Edited: 15 June 2012, 20:38
Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virginia trip itinerary

Thanks Zoey!

Do you still have the Felicity Map to send me in a private message? I have a 9 y.o. American Girl fan.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,733 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virginia trip itinerary

Yes, I do. Send me a pm with your e-mail address, and I'll send it from my e-mail address.

Bloomington-Normal...
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virginia trip itinerary

Could you please send me a link to the map to??

We'll be in Virginia next week!

10. Re: Virginia trip itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 07:15