We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Busch Gardens In Early August and Crowds????

Hinton,WV
Level Contributor
53 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Busch Gardens In Early August and Crowds????

The last time I was at Busch Gardens was in 2005 during Howl o Scream and I believe it was during a weekend which I never do.During this time the park reached FULL CAPACITY and was actually not letting you back into the park if you left to go to your car. It was so full that I was actually scared for my own safety and getting trampled when leaving certain shows in areas like Ireland in the town square area (literally elbow to elbow with strangers, feeling the hot breathe of another person on the nape of your neck.) The only reason I went on a weekend was because it was a FREE trip courtesy of family members and I was a teenager. Now I have my own 2 year old and I plan on going to Busch Gardens during the week preferably on a Wed during the first full week of August. My husband says he hates crowds and I don't want the experience to be a bad one for him, noramlly a weekday isnt bad for BG but since it has been so long I would like to know what other people think.

Also, is it true that now you can truly walk around BG with a beer in hand? During the 90's and the early 2000s this was a BIG NO NO.

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Busch Gardens In Early August and Crowds????

The 1st two weeks of August are still summer time. You want to go the last week of August, or the 1st part of September. July through the 1st two weeks of August is the peak coaster season everywhere, with kids being out of school. They go back in the middle of August, it varies for each county. By the end of August, most kids are back in school.

The parks know this, and reduce their operating hours. If you go on the BGE web site and look at park hours, you'll notice they're open until 10pm the first 3 weeks of August. The 4th week, the hours reduce to 8pm. The last week they reduce to 7pm. Why is this? Because the place becomes a ghost town the last week of August leading into the holiday weekend. That's when you want to go, and midweek is better if you can do that.

So your plan to go on a Wednesday is correct, you just need to switch your visit to the very end of August or the 1st week of September. The best thing to do is arrive the park early, they open at 10am. You want to be in the parking lot at 9am, because it will take you a while to walk to the gate. Don't worry about the reduced closing time, the 2 year old will be zonked out, you're pushing a stroller, and you'll be done by the afternoon.

Yes, you can walk around the park with a beer. It's not cheap, a 16oz bottle is $5.99, a 20oz draft is $6.99. You'll want to bring a cooler and come out to the car for lunch if you want to save money. The local grocery store is called Martin's. There's also a Fresh Market in Williamsburg if you want to eat a healthy salad.

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Busch Gardens In Early August and Crowds????

One more thing, the park is only open on the weekends in September through October. Therefore, if you plan on visiting during midweek, the last week of August is your best bet.

3. Re: Busch Gardens In Early August and Crowds????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 10:18