We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early September Trip Report

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,753 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Early September Trip Report

My daughter and her husband were here for a few days, and we did a lot of Colonial Williamsburg activities and enjoyed much delicious food, too!

Colonial Williamsburg:

Daughter and I signed up for RevQuest: The Lion and the Unicorn. My spy name was Charlotte Eldridge. We had a lot of fun playing this game. Sunday afternoon turned rainy, torrential at times, so we quit for the day and resumed on Monday and solved the mystery! During the worst of the rain, we took refuge in The Golden Ball, where a ring my daughter wanted was on sale, so we got in a little retail therapy as well. We watched some of the Rev City presentation on Monday, as well as Tuesday and Wednesday. The interpreters are very engaging and enthusiastic and do a great job of conveying the heartbreak, difficulties, and joys of the Revolutionary War times.

We'd signed up for Ghosts Among Us, but the restaurant (one of the Richmond Road chains, slammed with Sunday night before Labor Day diners) was slow, and it was still raining quite hard, so we decided to skip that.

We took the Women of Civil War Williamsburg walk one night. Again, entertaining and informative. I recommend bringing a flashlight as some of the terrain is uneven, and at night it's dark!

Love Dean Shostak's Crystal Concert! DD and I had been (I've enjoyed it several times, and still want to keep coming back), but DD's husband hadn't, and he quite enjoyed it too.

We didn't get to spend nearly enough time at the Museums of Colonial Williamsburg, but what we saw was so interesting!

On the way to the airport in Richmond on Thursday, we stopped at Saude Creek Winery. The view is amazing, and the wine sampling was fun, too!

The food:

Not a bad meal in the bunch! From Sunday brunch at Waypoint Seafood and Grill to dinner at Opus 9 Wednesday evening, we enjoyed it all! This included dinners at Red Hot and Blue and Blue Talon Bistro, breakfast at HoneyButter's Kitchen, and lunch at King's Arms and at The Pita Pit. Red Lobster was the place that took us so long, but the food was good. In Richmond, we ate at Cheesecake Factory in Short Pump, so good!

Also in Richmond, we visited the Museum of the Confederacy. It's a good museum with some permanent and some changing exhibits.

All in all, a most enjoyable visit!

PA
Level Contributor
228 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early September Trip Report

I really enjoyed reading your trip report, Zoey. Like you, my husband and I love Dean Shostak. All of his programs are wonderful.

Thanks so much for posting!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early September Trip Report

Enjoyed your report, Zoey. It reminds me of our visit to Williamsburg a couple of years ago in July. We had such a good time there. We enjoyed the Blue Talon Bistro, too, showing a movie outside. I liked it so much I bought their baseball cap as a souvenir. :)

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,753 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early September Trip Report

There are still movies on Prince George Street (the street Blue Talon is on) on Sunday evenings throughout the summer. They often show Julia Child cooking show episodes on the TV in the bar area, and when we were there, they were running the Julie & Julia movie. Even without the sound, it was fun to follow along.

Edited: 11 September 2012, 14:40
Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early September Trip Report

It's fun being a tourist in your own hometown. I'm glad you went to Saude Creek. What a lovely winery.

5. Re: Early September Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2013, 10:16