We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ghost tour

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
mlf
South Jersey
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ghost tour

What evening ghost tour would you recommend?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,757 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ghost tour

Tavern Ghost Tour.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ghost tour

I know there's a new mobile ghost tour as well. Haven't done it yet, but saw the Youtube intro video a while back: http://youtu.be/dd4-vm1OqYY

Mindy

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ghost tour

Is the Tavern Ghost tour better than the Ghosts Among Us? The Tavern one is family-friendly but since we all 3 adults, I thought the non-kid one may be scarier?? Anyone been to both or have heard anything?

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ghost tour

Ghosts Amoung Us is not "scarier" than the Tavern Ghost Walk -- it is the content that makes the program not suitable for children.

The Tavern Ghost Walk is a true ghost walk -- you will walk about the restored area, while the guide tells stories of actual events that have happened to guests, employees and those who live in CW. The tour is very entertaining, and is appropriate for kids if they accompany their parents -- there are "scary" moments and compelling tales of things that have happened here. There are usually 15 -- 20 stories told by the excellent guides, and the tour gets consistently good reviews by the adults who take it..

Ghosts Among Us is not a true ghost walk -- it is a program of three fictional events -- more gory than scary -- that are scripted and reenacted by costumed characters in three locations. The "adult" recommendation is due to the content as the "dead" characters relate things from their "live" pasts regarding adultery, beheading, etc. It is more like three one act plays than a ghost tour.

Having been on both evening programs, I would recommend the Tavern Ghost Walk. It is lively, fresh, entertaining and enjoyed by adults.

Hope this helps.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ghost tour

Thanks BixDoc - great info!!

Perkasie...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ghost tour

Is the cost of the Tavern Ghost Walk included in the Historic Triangle Pass ticket?

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ghost tour

No. Like all evening programs, the Tavern Ghost Walk is a separate ticket. There is, however, a current CW Fall Package running which includes lodging, a gift voucher and ghost walk -- info can be found on the CW web site.

The Ghost Walk tickets are discounted, however, from other evening program prices -- $12 for adults, $7 for youth.

Crossville...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ghost tour

Hey there. Going to Williamsburg AGAIN very soon. Have been on 2 ghost tours so far. On the first one bout 10 years ago, we were actually taken inside the historic buildings where reenactments took place. That was the better one. Two years ago, we went on one which was not good at all. We did not go inside the historic homes and the groups were too large and my son and I could not hear the leader. By the description I just gave, would anyone out there be able to identify the name of the first tour? I have sadly forgotten.

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ghost tour

That tour was probably Legends, Mysteries and Myths, which is not offered any more. It has been replaced with three other evening programs -- one being Ghosts Among Us, at which guests go in to three historic buildings and see reenactments of ghouls from the past talk of their experiences. The content of the stories is adult -- so consider your son's age when choosing this tour.

The Tavern Ghost Walk, Colonial Williamsburg's ghost tour, is highly regarded. Perhaps you took one of the private tours (not CW's) when you had your bad experience.

If you are visiting very soon, CW is in its winter programming mode, so many of the evening programs are offered less frequently or not at all. Be sure to check the online calendar at www.colonialwilliamsburg.com/ or call CW reservations at 1-800-HISTORY.

Hope this helps.

Crossville...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ghost tour

Thanks Destination Expert! That name sounds familiar. I remember that I purchased tickets for the second ghost tour I went on (the less desirable one) from the fabulous Williamsburg General Store. I'm going the first week of April so I'll be sure to catch Ghosts Among Us. Kids are 11 & 12.