We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamestown & Yorktown???

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Jamestown & Yorktown???

I just booked the Williamsburg Lodge for the weekend of March15-17th! I have been numerous times to Colonial Williamsburg, but we have never been to Jamestown or Yorktown. I have heard positive and negative feedback about going to both places. Would love to get some feedback from people here on Tripadvisor.

Mentioned in this post
Colonial Williamsburg
Colonial Williamsburg
10,056 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Yorktown
Yorktown
Virginia
Williamsburg Lodge, Autograph Collection
Williamsburg Lodge...
2,173 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,081 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamestown & Yorktown???

I think Historic Jamestowne (the National Park Service site) is great. It's fascinating to watch the glassblowers in the Glasshouse and to see the archeology sites.

While I'm not as interested in the Yorktown Battlefield (National Park Service site), my husband and son could spend at least half-a-day walking the battlefield and looking at all the redoubts.

Note: The Jamestown Settlement and Yorktown Victory Center are NOT National Park Service sites. I have read good things about visiting them, especially with children, but I have no first-hand knowledge of them.

Mentioned in this post
Historic Jamestowne
Historic Jamestowne
4,538 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Yorktown Battlefield
Yorktown Battlefield
1,339 Reviews
Yorktown, VA
Jamestown Settlement
Jamestown Settlement
3,526 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Yorktown
Yorktown
Virginia
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamestown & Yorktown???

Thanks for your reply!

Sounds like I might like Historic Jamestowne. I remember seeing glass blowing when I was very young, and I thought it was in Williamsburg though. My daughter (adult) and I are having a "girls weekend" so I'm not as interested in the battlefield. Besides we have Manassas battlefield here close by. Thanks again for your information!

Mentioned in this post
Historic Jamestowne
Historic Jamestowne
4,538 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Manassas
Manassas
Prince William County, VA
Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamestown & Yorktown???

Yorktown is so much more than just the site of the battle and surrender...

Most of Yorktown is very walkable- there are some cute antique and gift shops- they have a local fife and drum corps that practices there, some historic homes, and The Carrot Tree is there (great cute historic location lunch spot with high quality sandwiches, sides and desserts.

There is a Waterman's Museum there as well.

Mentioned in this post
Yorktown
Yorktown
Virginia
Moorestown
Level Contributor
36 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jamestown & Yorktown???

We have been to all three (Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktowne) several times and love them even more each time we return. In Jamestown you will find two seperate sites...the first you will encounter is not a National Park it is call the Jamestown Settlement..you will find an excellent museum inside. Outside there is an Indian settelment, James Fort and the three ships--Susan Constant, Godspeed and Discovery. All three areas have actors who can answer any questions you have about life in 17th century Virgina. The Jamestown National Park also has a museum and Park guides who can take you on a tour of the the histoical site...the dig is ongoing and if you are lucky you can speak to someone on the dig as he/she is working.

Everytime we go we do both because there is so much to learn...our kids love it...but not as much as I do.

Mentioned in this post
Colonial Williamsburg
Colonial Williamsburg
10,056 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Jamestown Settlement
Jamestown Settlement
3,526 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jamestown & Yorktown???

With only three days, I would recommend that you confine your visit to Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown. While the original Jamestowne (run by the National Park Service) is an interesting archaeological site, the Jamestown Settlement (run by a private non profit foundation) is an interesting exhibit of the original Jamestown, a Powhatan Indian Village and replicas of the three ships that brought the first Jamestowne settlers here. You can access the Colonial Parkway from an entrance right behind the Williamsburg Lodge, and it is a beautiful 9 mile drive along the James River to the Jamestown Settlement. This visit along with quality time spent at Colonial Williamsburg should provide you and your daughter with a thoroughly enjoyable visit.

Also, be sure to dine in a Colonial Tavern, take in an evening program in CW, consider the seafood feast at the Lodge on Friday night of your stay, and plan to spend some time at Merchants Square at the western end of the Historic area.

Mentioned in this post
Colonial Williamsburg
Colonial Williamsburg
10,056 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Jamestown Settlement
Jamestown Settlement
3,526 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Colonial Parkway
Colonial Parkway
588 Reviews
Yorktown, VA
James River
James River
349 Reviews
Richmond, VA
Merchants Square
Merchants Square
216 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Williamsburg Lodge, Autograph Collection
Williamsburg Lodge...
2,173 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jamestown & Yorktown???

Thank you for all the information! Sounds like we should take the trip to Jamestown. We plan on eating at a Colonial Tavern, as my daughter has never been to Williamsburg.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jamestown & Yorktown???

You might also enjoy a nice meal at Food for Thought. Agree that you should see Historic Jamestown. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Food For Thought
Food For Thought
4,646 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jamestown & Yorktown???

Thanks CTDesign! I had read about Food for Thought, and the reviews were great. I think we might have to give it a try.

Mentioned in this post
Food For Thought
Food For Thought
4,646 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
9. Re: Jamestown & Yorktown???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 07:16