We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

virgina beach

south carolina
Level Contributor
174 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
virgina beach

Ok, I consider myself to be pretty intelligent but I'm ignorant and dumb when it comes to direction......period. We plan to vacation in Williamsburg this summer. We'd like to spend a day or two in Virgina beach. We'll be leaving from Greenville, SC. I'm confused as to whether I should visit Virgina Beach on the way there or go there first and then go to Williamsburg. I guess I don't know if I'd reach VB before Williamsburg. Also, will there be any major bridges to cross?

Mentioned in this post
Greenville
Greenville
South Carolina
Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
387 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: virgina beach

Certainly the most direct route to/from Williamsburg to/from VA Beach includes a major bridge and tunnel. As to which to do first, it's really a crap shoot. I'd base my decision on what day I planned to travel. In the summer traffic from Williamsburg TO Va Beach is awful on Saturdays. Traffic from Va Beach TO Williamsburg is awful on Sundays. Any other day, it's probably not different enough to make a difference.

Mentioned in this post
south carolina
Level Contributor
174 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: virgina beach

thank you for your input. I don't know if I can handle the bridge and tunnel to Williamsburg if it's the one i think. I can't do it.

Mentioned in this post
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,125 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: virgina beach

Unfortunately, if you can't do the bridge/tunnel, the drive between VB and Williamsburg along Route 460, I-295 and I-64 will take you nearly 3 hours. There is a "shortcut" which takes you across a bridge to Jamestown, but that bridge is over a mile long and might be a problem for you as well.

Mentioned in this post
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,986 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: virgina beach

Have you tried putting your journey into something like mapquest.com or google maps? Going to Virginia Beach and then to Williamsburg is about the same miles as going to Williamsburg and then to Virginia Beach.

Unsure about what you know regarding the bridges and tunnels. You may be thinking about the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, which is not the one you would use. The bridge/tunnels between Williamsburg and Virginia Beach are the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel and the Monitor-Merrimac Bridge Tunnel. The James River Bridge (referenced in longhorn's post) is one alternative, or for a really convoluted route, there is also the Jamestown/Scotland ferry (from VA Beach, you'd go near Smithfield).

Mentioned in this post
Chesapeake
Chesapeake
Virginia
James River
James River
350 Reviews
Richmond, VA
Jamestown-Scotland Ferry
Jamestown-Scotland Ferry
470 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: virgina beach

There's no bridge across the James River to Jamestown, as longhorn mentions. It's a ferry from Jamestown south to Surry, referenced above by Zoey.

Mentioned in this post
James River
James River
350 Reviews
Richmond, VA
south carolina
Level Contributor
174 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: virgina beach

Thanks for all your replies. It is indeed the Chesapeake Bridge that I'm thinking of. Just looking at pictures and videos of that bridge makes me want to faint. If I don't have to drive over anything resembling that, I think I'll be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Chesapeake
Chesapeake
Virginia
7. Re: virgina beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2014, 07:18