We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park with playground

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
307 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Park with playground

Curious if there are any parks with playgrounds for the kids in or around Williamsburg? Something with pieces to climb on and slides and stuff. I've passed one before but I think it's connected to a school. Thanks!

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
90 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park with playground

My youngest is in college now but when she was little we used to spend a week in Williamsburg every year and I would take the kids to the reservoir park. The playground is not that big but it was never too crowded and they had nice picnic areas with clean restrooms. Most of the visitors are there for the fishing so the playground and picnic areas were uncrowded. Hope this helps.

jamescitycountyva.gov/recreation/parks/littl…

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
260 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park with playground

When will you be here? Kidsburg is probably a good place, but according to the website, it's currently under renovation -- jamescitycountyva.gov/recreation/parks/mid-c…

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
307 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park with playground

Thanks for the replies!

We're going July 5-12. I e-mailed them for updates. At least the website offers all the park names. Mostly looking for a diversion if (ha ha) our granddaughters get tired of the pool.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
260 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park with playground

We had a picnic today at Kiwanis Park. They had a decent looking playground & plenty of swings for the younger set (not sure how old your grands are).

www.williamsburgva.gov/Index.aspx?page=475

NEWPORT NEWS, VA
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Park with playground

About 10-15 minutes from Williamsburg is Newport News Park, which at 8000+ acres is the largest municipal park east of the Mississippi River. Between playgrounds, hiking paths (including one which takes you by the site of the Civil War's Battle of Dam #1), bicycling (with rentals available), paddleboats, jon boats and canoes and frisbee golf you can wear the kidlets out for a blissful night's sleep! Entry to the park is free (there are small fees for bike, boat and frisbee rentals). It's at Exit 250-B, off of I-64.

http://www.nnparks.com/parks_nn2.php

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
260 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Park with playground

Agreed. NN Park is the BEST! We just did the White Oak Trail there today, in fact. Quite gorgeous. And if you do go there, be sure to go into the Newport News Visitors' Center at the very front. Tons of info there as well for area attractions.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
307 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Park with playground

Thanks for the replies. The girls are 7 and 8. They replied about the first park undergoing renovations. Weather permitting, end of June, beginning of July for completion.

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Park with playground

Matthew Whaley School is located at the western end of Colonial Williamsburg, and there is a really nice kids' playground there. It is probably the one you remember seeing, as it is visible at the corner of South Henry and Lafayette Streets. So if your visit is at a time when school is not is session, you may want to try this convenient playground area.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
260 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Park with playground

Stopping by with an update - just read this today & thought I would share it re: Kidsburg.

williamsburgsrealestate.com/2013/…

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
307 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Park with playground

That's encouraging. We do like the idea of heading to Newport News after breakfast one day, hitting the park and then finding a place for lunch and maybe a little shopping.