We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August Trip.....

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Topic
August Trip.....

Hi

We are planning a week vacation in mid August. 2 boys ages 7 & 9.

How is the weather in mid-August? Is it hurricane season? We are coming from NY - better to fly or drive? We will probably need a rental anyway...I guess. Thanks

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,790 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August Trip.....

Weather will likely be hot and humid. Yes, hurricane season begins in June and ends Dec. 1. Hurricane Irene in 2011 was near the end of August.

Do your boys travel well? Compare overall time to drive vs. overall time to fly, door to door. Also compare costs, to make the best decision for your family.

Edited: 30 April 2013, 04:36
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
260 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August Trip.....

Depending on where you're coming from in NY, coming across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel can eliminate some traffic as well as offer a unique experience if you've never driven it. I'm assuming you're in the city from your profile. When we go up there, we take the CBBT, but we're farther south from Williamsburg, so there might be easier routes. I-95 can be a real parking lot depending on when you're driving, so research that & plan accordingly.

Quite frankly, August weather CAN be absolutely miserable. That doesn't mean that it WILL be, but it certainly has that potential. As long as you plan for thunderstorms & such, you'll be okay. Just be sure to hydrate well, as the heat & humidity can sneak up on you. Since schools here don't open until after Labor Day, crowds can still be around, although out-of-state visitor traffic starts slowing down a bit later in the month.

I don't know if you've considered lodging yet, but Great Wolf Lodge is a wonderful option for families with kids. They have various room types that will give you room to spread out & relax, and the amenities are good too. (Spa for the adults, lots of water activities & an arcade for the kids.)

3. Re: August Trip.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 05:17