We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colonial Williamsburg Tickets

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
72 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Colonial Williamsburg Tickets

Hello. We are planning a summer getaway to Washington-DC, Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens. I know that my three teenagers will tolerate CW because I want to go there in order to get to roller coaster day. I have been looking at the tickets and was shocked by the prices. It will cost $250 for my family to go to CW and I am afraid that the kids may be bored with the history after a couple of hours and I will be forced to leave to save my sanity. What do you get for the ticket price vs what you get if you go into Williamburg to walk around and not tour the interior of the houses? I have a limited budget and it will be very difficult to purchase the tickets and then not use them to the full advantage. Will the streets be open to view the outdoor activities or will they be roped off if we opt not to buy a ticket? What about Jamestown and Yorktown? Is it a wise idea to consider the historic triangle pass? I did see the Williamsburg bounce pass but the cost was $700 and my family does not want to go to the waterpark so we are doing to buy tickets al a carte. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,906 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colonial Williamsburg Tickets

Check out the Top Questions (links at upper right of this page) for some older threads about why we think a ticket is important.

A single-day BG ticket is $70 (although discounts are available, which take about $12 off, each). Parking is not included.

A single-day CW ticket is $42. So the cost of a single day at BG plus a single day at CW is about $112 each, plus parking at BG. For a family of 3 teens + two adults, that's around $514 - 574 (depending on BG discount amount).

The Bounce pass purchased on-line is $120/per person, or $600, and it includes parking, and is good for 7 days. Water Country is basically thrown in at no charge; buying a la carte doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you'll be here for only 2 days.

If you want to go to the Jamestown and Yorktown sites, check on admission options for all 4 sites on the historyisfun.org website.

Here's the thing, if you don't have tickets for Colonial Williamsburg, there's a whole lot available that you won't be allowed to participate in. It's not just house and trades tours and the chance to talk with the tradesmen and women, there's also the museums, Revolutionary City programming, participation in the RevQuest program, even riding the shuttles around the historic area. Without the options for some of those experiences, I don't think any of you will get as much out of it, and you'll go away disappointed.

Edited: 06 May 2013, 22:10
LOUISIANA
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colonial Williamsburg Tickets

I would buy the CW pass but skip Jamestown and Yorktown. We were not really impressed with either one especially Yorktown

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,373 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colonial Williamsburg Tickets

If you purchase the bounce pass, you have unlimited access to all sites on the pass. Split the group as needed and do what you want on an individual basis. Or maybe a few bounce passes and the kids get tickets for what they want. The free parking with the bounce pass is a big savings, especially if you visit more than one day at BG.

IMO, Historic Jamestown is not to be missed, if you like archeology or would like to see where British Virginia first took hold.

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colonial Williamsburg Tickets

Without a ticket you will miss seeing the Governor's Palace, the Capitol, the Courthouse, where you can take part in a trial, the Peyton Randolph House (listen to the stories about how he might have been the first President of the U.S. instead of George Washington), the George Wythe House, the Magazine, and trade sites such as the wig maker, the milliner, the gunsmith. You will miss Revolutionary City since only ticketed guests are permitted in that area when the story lines take place.

However, if you do forgo the tickets, you can still walk about the streets and go into the sales shops. I definitely recommend a stop at the Raleigh Tavern Bakery for a sweet treat and a cool drink. You can also go through Bruton Parish Church and then investigate the shops at Merchant Square.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
336 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colonial Williamsburg Tickets

Are your "teenagers" old enough to be left alone at a theme park? You could always drop them off and go experience Colonial Williamsburg while they are riding the coasters. Maybe just walk the streets this trip and decide if you want to explore more the next time you go.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
572 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colonial Williamsburg Tickets

Keep in mind that there is so much more to do in CW than just touring old buildings and houses, which teens may consider boring, that is until they go inside. A conversation with Thomas Jefferson or George Washington, interacting with costumed interpreters, participating in Rev City, firing of cannons and militia muskets, a march of the Fife and Drum Corp., Rev Quest, watching actual artisans create the wares of their trades are all things that teens would enjoy. The museums have itineraries designed by local teens to highlight the displays of most interest to teens. All of these activities are part of any pass that you purchase. Everyone in your family may well enjoy CW, so you do not want them to miss it. As I see it, your main dilemna is how many days to spend here.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
72 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colonial Williamsburg Tickets

We purchased the CW tickets and a one day pass to Busch Gardens. I am so excited to see it all. We may end up skipping Yorktown.

south gibson, pa
Level Contributor
7 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colonial Williamsburg Tickets

I am planning a trip to Williamsburg for my family (boy age 13, girl age 15, Dad age 50 and Mom 55). I would love to hear how you made out last summer. Our children love roller coasters and theme parks, but grumble at the idea of going to CW.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 16:25
Lynn Haven, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Colonial Williamsburg Tickets

I know I am a little biased since I was raised in Yorktown! However, I feel that Yorktown is a must see for every American! It is where our freedom was won and where the British surrendered to the colonists. I am truly shocked and saddened to read where so many visitors want to skip this historical site.

The waterfront has been "modernized" but it is well done and has a great restaurant - The Riverwalk. Also, the Carrot Tree - just outside Grace Episcopal Church - is a sweet restaurant. And as a side note - the owner of this eatery stood up to the govt during the sequestration by re-opening to allow his employees to work when told they must shut down!

The tour roads are beautiful to drive or walk on - Grace Episcopal is lovely and has an interesting cemetery (my father as well as a signer of the Declaration of Independence).

The Visitors Centers are awesome - especially the one towards W'burg. There is a fun little trolly that can drop you off at different sites. Folk Artist, Nancy Thomas, has a store along the trolly route.

Please reconsider Yorktown - I don't think you will be disappointed!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colonial Williamsburg Tickets

My kids ages 11, 13,15 all love CW and want to go every year. They love Busch Gardens but get a lot out of CW and are never bored.