We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamestown NP ranger led tours

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Jamestown NP ranger led tours

In 2010 and 2011 my family visited Williamsburg and we'll be coming again in August. I remember reading about the ranger led tours at Historic Jamestown, but we didn't have the time to go there. This time we're going and I see they do a Living History tour and Ranger led tours. Also found a Captain Brewster's Kids tour. My boys are 10 & 14 and like this kind of stuff. Any recommendations or info would be helpful.

Thanks,

Cammy

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,298 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamestown NP ranger led tours

Expect two or three tours total each day. Your entrance fee is good for a week. I would call to determine tour times.

Docents are also on site at the archeology dig and can be quite helpful as well. Be sure to visit the museum exhibits at the visitor center and beyond the original fort site.

Are you planning to visit Jamestown Settlement as well? There are replicas of the original fort and the ships and an excellent museum exhibit as well.

I always visit the Jamestown NP site now, but will never forget my visit to Jamestown Settlement as a boy.

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
636 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamestown NP ranger led tours

You asked about a Living History tour and a Ranger led tour. I am not sure how these tours are different during pleasant weather as we were there during a rainstorm. Both of our events were held in rooms near the desk where you pay for admission. We would highly recommend both! Our Living History tour was with a man playing as the person of John Rolfe. He was so interesting! My boys thoroughly enjoyed the performance. We also ended up staying around afterwards to ask questions. The Ranger "tour" also ended up being a presentation where we were (again) seated in room. In a totally different way, the information given was really fascinating. We learned that only years earlier this same man was conveying as a fact in his presentations that Jamestowne was in the James River! It was such an informative session! If your boys are interested in such things I think it will be time well spent! I am sure that being able to walk around outside during nice weather would only enhance the tour!

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
636 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamestown NP ranger led tours

Oh, one more thing. I have only seen pics of the Captain Brewster event and I can only say that I don't think it would be age appropriate for your 14 year old (or my 15 year old), Perhaps our 10 year olds would enjoy it more!

4. Re: Jamestown NP ranger led tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 06:19