We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Williamsburg for non-history love and other obstacles

Ohio
Level Contributor
234 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Williamsburg for non-history love and other obstacles

My husband and I are considering a free, 3day trip with one of those time-share bit places for next year. I don't care for history and honestly have had no desire to visit this area before so that is the first concern. Also, we will be traveling with a 5 yr old and 16 yr old, which makes every vacation challenging trying to entertain such an age span. I know there are non-history related things here, such as Busch Gardens and the water park but even amusement parks are difficult with the age span in most cases. We had considered combining this with a few days at VA Beach (which sounds very good to me). I am open to all opinions/suggestions on this area for the above issues, thank you! We have to decide in the next couple days if we'll take the trip.

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Williamsburg for non-history love and other obstacles

Honestly, we tried one of those free 3 days stay in return for a "90 minute" time share sales pitch promotion.

The first 90 minutes went quick, it was the next 2.5 hours of being passed from salesperson to manager that made is say *never again*.

What part of "no" don't they understand?

Why not just stick to the beach since you don't care for history and your children's ages makes the parks a challenge?

Ohio
Level Contributor
234 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Williamsburg for non-history love and other obstacles

So do you think there isn't enough to do outside the parks that could entertain? I honestly figured most of the history type stuff would not hold the interest of a 5 yr old but perhaps they have activities where that is not the case?

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,276 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Williamsburg for non-history love and other obstacles

Your 5 yearold will enjoy the march with the fife and drums at the end of the afternoon in CW. Walking through town with the horse drawn wagons, etc will be amusing to anyone for a short time.

While historic in nature, a visit to Jamestown Settlement will show your family what the first colonial settlement looked like with a full size model fort and ships to walk through.

Williamsburg is a tourist town with shops and attractions beyond the historic areas. Look at the Things to Do at the top of the page here.

If your free trip includes a timeshare presentation, make sure you are getting three nights. They often offer three "days" which amount to the first day where you cannot check in until after 4pm, the next day which includes the required presentation which lasts all morning, and checkout at 10 am the next day. You still have the day to explore, but no room to return to a a car full of suitcases.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 18:38
Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Williamsburg for non-history love and other obstacles

holland,

There are lots of fun activities at CW, however I *love* history so what I find to be fascinating you might hate.

And when a grown person tells me

"I don't care for history and honestly have had no desire to visit this area before"

and go on to tell how it's a real challenge to keep the 5yo and 16 yo interested due to the range of ages, well...

You know yourself and your kids best.

It sounded like you had already made up your mind.

Why should I take my time to convince someone who has already made up her mind about CW?

But now it really sounds like you should have written "Someone convince me there is something for my family to do in CW..."

It's mostly history- history come alive, but you can get that from the CW website if you go there yourself and do your own research :) colonialwilliamsburg.com/do/…

Ohio
Level Contributor
234 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Williamsburg for non-history love and other obstacles

Wow JT, why not tell me what you really think?! You almost make me sound uneducated and uncultured for not enjoying history as an adult. Yes, I suppose I was looking for a bit of convincing because the only thing I know about the Williamsburg area is history related and when I google the area, I get the same type of results. However, I've had a number of people mention there are other things to do there so I am looking for more detail/opinion on what those things may be. My husband and I travel often and I typically think 'we're on vacation, how bad could it" but this has probably been the first time I have been apprehensive about a destination. However, we have the opportunity to go very cheap and my husband enjoys history so I'm trying to be open minded and learn more about the area.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 04:09
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
2,987 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Williamsburg for non-history love and other obstacles

I'd argue that not enjoying history books/documentaries doesn't mean you wouldn't enjoy it "in action" as it were. CW is pretty large and has a wide variety of things to learn about.

Unless you've done that type of thing before and didn't care for it.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,862 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Williamsburg for non-history love and other obstacles

I love Williamsburg, with all there is to see and do both in and out of the Historic Area. Zip-lining, mini golf, go-karts, Busch Gardens, Water Country, shopping at the outlets and at Yankee Candle, great restaurants, kayaking, etc. But I would never attend a sales presentation in order to have a cheap stay. For me, that would never be worth it.

If it is to you, then why not go for it? Even if you don't have the best time for a couple of days, that's just two days out of your life. And who knows? Maybe you'll get hooked (as so many do) and have a great vacation with your family.

Pleasant...
Level Contributor
25 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Williamsburg for non-history love and other obstacles

Holland,

I live 45 minutes from W'burg. I am not a history buff and when I go to W'burg I go to shop at Premium Outlets and Yankee Candle. I don't go for the history, it just doesn't interest me and there's nothing wrong with that. If you don't mind the presentation pitch, I say do it. There is plenty in W'burg to do that is not history related. Drive down to Va Beach and enjoy the day.

Ohio
Level Contributor
234 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Williamsburg for non-history love and other obstacles

Thanks all! I was a bit tired last night, yikes. Final decision tonight!

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Williamsburg for non-history love and other obstacles

I think you will be pleasantly surprised how much your children do love CW and Busch Gardens! BG has some incredible shows to watch, rides for all ages and is one of the most beautiful parks to visit...For your five year old consider letting them dress up (boy or girl)...I even bought a period shirt for my 19 year old to wear, they've never been there but my husband and I have been a couple of times. It is highly interesting to see the period 'actors' come alive with the accents and attitudes...really makes it seem as if you've stepped back in time...for your husband he will really get a kick out of it and you'll be surprised how much your kids love it :) I also recommend hitting some trails around there...I think you can rent bicycles and do some touring...go birding...I think for 3 days CW and Busch Gardens would be a great way to spend it...ignore any commenters who took your post the wrong way...they just got up on the wrong side of life that day! :)

Get answers to your questions about Williamsburg