We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Williamsburg to BWI

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
245 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Williamsburg to BWI

We will be driving from Williamsburg to BWI on Thursday, August 7th. We need to be to BWI by 2 for my mother-in-law's 4 p.m. flight. What time would you suggest we leave Williamsburg, and what route would be the best? We would like to stop for lunch but will do that somewhere closer to BWI in case we get stuck in traffic and time is an issue. Thanks.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Williamsburg to BWI

Stick with the main suggested route from mapquest. Now, it is 3 hours without traffic. As I am typing this mapquest estimates actual drivng time to be 3 hr 40 min. Add an hour for lunch. If no traffic, then would suggest slight detour to old town alexandria. But if you have to push on, then there are a ton of restaurants around arundel mills and it is about 15 minutes to the airport. Even closer is Nursery Rd which is the hotel district of BWI which also has all the regular chains. You will be at dc after the morning rush hour so that should be ok. Leaving around 8 am probably alleviates the time worry.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
245 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Williamsburg to BWI

Thanks for the very helpful information! We will look to getting on the road around 8.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
318 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Williamsburg to BWI

Much better to be early than late to any airport. Safe travels.

k s
Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
14 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Williamsburg to BWI

You will need to add at least another hour to 1.5 hours just to get around DC. Suggest staying on the east/95 side of the beltway for BWI.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
245 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Williamsburg to BWI

I'm a little confused now. Is 8 a.m. early enough to leave Williamsburg to get to BWI by 2, with a stop for lunch?

Level Contributor
1,140 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Williamsburg to BWI

8 should be fine. The rush hour DC area traffic is what you want to avoid, leaving any earlier you might get stuck in that. Once rush hour is over, you should be able to zip thru DC on to bwi. Stay on interstate 95 thru DC.

I live closer to Richmond, I have been able to leave home at 8 am and get to downtown DC in two hours without speeding! But if I left at 6 it would probably take three or more hours, just because of the volume of traffic on the road then.

Make a note of this site: www.511Virginia.org

I use it all the time. You can also dial 511 on your cell phone to get traffic updates in Virginia.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
245 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Williamsburg to BWI

Thank you all. I have printed out a MapQuest map from the Hilton Garden Inn in Williamsburg to BWI and this forum topic. I lived in Fairfax for a year (14 years ago), but have never been to Williamsburg and am very much looking forward to it!

8. Re: Williamsburg to BWI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 05:16