We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with young girls 5 & 8 in August

Hamilton, Ohio...
3 posts
Save Topic
Traveling with young girls 5 & 8 in August

We have 3 days available but I'm wondering if it makes sense to do Jamestown one day, Yorktown another and shop/eat at Colonial Williamsburg the other day. I don't know that I want to get tickets to colonial Williamsburg as I don't think they'd enjoy all the museums, but can you eat and shop without tickets? We live near kings island so think we will pass on Busch Gardens and Water Country are there other suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Yorktown
Yorktown
Virginia
Colonial Williamsburg
Colonial Williamsburg
10,046 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Busch Gardens Williamsburg
Busch Gardens...
7,420 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,047 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with young girls 5 & 8 in August

Yes, you can shop and eat in Colonial Williamsburg without buying a ticket.

If you are planning only to go to the National Park sites at Jamestown and Yorktown, it will not take all day to see either one. In fact, you could probably see each place very well in 2- 3 hours. If you plan to go to Jamestown Settlement AND Historic Jamestowne (the NPS site) on one day and Yorktown Battlefield AND the Yorktown Victory Center on one day, then these could each be full day excursions.

Mentioned in this post
Colonial Williamsburg
Colonial Williamsburg
10,046 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Yorktown
Yorktown
Virginia
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with young girls 5 & 8 in August

Have you been to Colonial Williamsburg before? Do you know about the many activities geared for kids? Here's a link to "Hands-on activities" for children: http://tinyurl.com/n6cjm2m

Having been to all the sites, I'd be inclined to spend a full day exploring both Jamestowns, have dinner and maybe take in a program at CW, spend the next day exploring all Colonial Williamsburg has to offer, and then the third day take in the Yorktown sites, do a little shopping and eat at one of restaurants at the Yorktown Riverwalk area.

If your youngest is 5, she'll get in to all sites at no charge with you. Here's a link to the website where you can buy tickets to the Jamestown/Yorktown sites, as well as a ticket that includes Colonial Williamsburg: http://historyisfun.org/admission-rates.htm That last one is a good value if you're staying a week, but with a shorter visit probably not.

I think you'll all get a lot more out of the visit if you have tickets to Colonial Williamsburg. Do check out the "top questions about Williamsburg" (upper right of this page).

Edited: 25 July 2014, 15:08
Mentioned in this post
Colonial Williamsburg
Colonial Williamsburg
10,046 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Yorktown
Yorktown
Virginia
Hamilton, Ohio...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with young girls 5 & 8 in August

Do you know if it's possible to just get tickets to the Great Hope Plantation or do you have to get tickets to all of colonial Williamsburg to see that?

Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
92 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with young girls 5 & 8 in August

One other thing to consider - we just got back from Williamsburg with my 5 year old...her favorite part? The activities at the hotel. We stayed at the Woodlands, and they had a TON of activities for kids. A new splash pad, pool, mini golf, games, art, and nightly kids entertainment. We had a great trip, but I wish I had blocked out more downtime to enjoy all the fun at the hotel. :)

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
572 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with young girls 5 & 8 in August

All sites at CW are covered under one general admission ticket, there are no individual site tickets, with the exception of the Museums. There many programs available for children to learn and enjoy while here. When in August are you arriving/ Many times some activities do end in August when children start going back to school. Programs geared to children and families in general are highlighted in lavender in each days' activites in "This Week". We have a Kid's Revolutionary Adventure map which allows children to earn a pin by visiting seven sites on the map and matching the contents to the site. The pin is good for a free scoop of ice cream at Huzzah's. With some adult assistence, your children may enjoy the spy game Rev Quest. You can go online for more info to see if everyone in your party is up to it. The museums have areas where children can create their own works of art and displays of items of interest to them. If the Powell House is still open when you arrive, your children can participate int he same 18th century activities children would have done at that time. Animals are interspersed throughout the area such as horses, sheep, oxen, chickens and other fowl, many rare breeds that you do not see elsewhere. Many of our tradesmen have work details that children can assist with. There really is a lot for children to do here and I encourage you to purchase passes (no charge for your 5 year old) and enjoy the experience.

Mentioned in this post
Powell House
Powell House
17 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
6. Re: Traveling with young girls 5 & 8 in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2015, 05:15