We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route to Port Angeles from Seattle

Which Bainbridge Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Route to Port Angeles from Seattle

We are flying into Seattle then going directly to Port Angeles. What is the best route on a Thursday at noontime? Should we take the ferry to Brainbridge or Bremerton? If we are going to stop somewhere for a break and sightseeing/ half hour hike - which is better Brainbridge or Port Townsend?

We are from NYC, so we really enjoy seeing nature and things we don't have here.

6 replies to this topic
Washington
Level Contributor
492 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route to Port Angeles from Seattle

I would drive around thru Tacoma, across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge and up the kitsap peninsula to Port Angeles. Quicker than going into Seattle, waiting for a ferry, riding the ferry, then driving to PA when you get go the other side. If you do drive around, take a side trip to Port Townsend. An interesting town with lots of fun shops and right on the water. Go to Fort Worden and walk on the beach and explore the bunkers from

WW II.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route to Port Angeles from Seattle

Those bunkers are not from WWII they were constructed at the turn of the century as part of the Costal Artillery and became insignificant long before WWII.

It also takes just as long to go via the Bainbridge ferry as it does via the Tacoma Narrows bridge. Sedor, if you're interested in a nice boat ride with a great view of downtown Seattle, then I recommend the ferry. Noontime on a Thursday, I see no reason to recommend against it.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,108 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Route to Port Angeles from Seattle

This is an ongoing debate, but given your priorities I'd definitely take the Seattle - Bainbridge Island ferry. The time required will be roughly the same as driving through Tacoma, but with considerably less time behind the wheel. You can stretch your legs on the ferry, or you could stop in cute little Port Gamble just at the west end of the Hood Canal bridge.

Depending on the wait for a ferry (shouldn't be an issue on a Thursday afternoon before commute hours) the trip might take half an hour longer than the Tacoma route, and the cost will be a little higher (ferry tolls v. extra gas plus bridge tolls via Tacoma) but the scenery is infinitely better IMO.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,631 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route to Port Angeles from Seattle

I agree take the ferry; that is the Bainbridge Ferry. For a visitor it is a treat. There are some nice places for lunch in DT Bainbridge just off the ferry. Port Towsend is more interesting, but it is a bit out of the way and will get you to PA latter. Many visitors also like Old Pousbo, which would also be a good stop for lunch, although eating on Bainbridge would take less time.

Port Gamble is lovely and quaint. A good suggestion. The General Store has terrific food. I ate there Saturday and do so quite often. If you decide on BI or Poulsbo I can give you suggestions for lunch. Pala can do the same for Port Townsend.

Washington
Level Contributor
492 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route to Port Angeles from Seattle

I stand corrected. I knew that Fort Worden was built early in the century. Temporary brain freeze! As far as driving around or taking the ferry that is a personal preference. My preference is to,drive around since I don't care to drive into Seattle. If you want a ferry ride then go that direction.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route to Port Angeles from Seattle

Thank you so much for all the advice. We ended up going via Bremerton on the way there (mostly cuz I wanted to nap after our flight and the ferry ride was longer) then the Bainbridge ferry back to Seattle. There is a lot of driving to do on this trip, so I welcomed the ferry time. We did meet some people from Tacoma area, and it sounds like a beautiful route too.

Reply to: Route to Port Angeles from Seattle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bainbridge Island