We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bellevue vs. Redmond

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
20 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Bellevue vs. Redmond

My husband is attending a conference in Redmond the end of Oct. I am tagging along. Any opinion on staying in Redmond vs. Bellevue in terms of dining & hotel variety. I'm planning on heading into Seattle during week days. How long should it take to get to downtown Seattle by bus during a weekday - say around 10am? Thanks for any feedback.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bellevue vs. Redmond

Bus service is frequent, and time depends on stops. I believe there are express buses. http://metro.kingcounty.gov/ Enter, for example, your hotel address (when you know it) or Bellevue Square. Probably half hour?

Definitely, Bellevue!!!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bellevue vs. Redmond

Bellevue over Redmond, but If you have to go to Redmond, go to somewhere right near Redmond Town Center. There is a good bus depot just north of there so you can get to Seattle, plus shopping and things to do.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bellevue vs. Redmond

Bellevue without a question. It's easy to get into Seattle via the express buses from the Bellevue Transportation Center at all hours of the day, plus, if you choose not to go into Seattle there are plenty of restaurants, shopping, movie theaters, a couple museums and even a garden to keep you busy. About 15-20 minutes from Bellevue to downtown Seattle.

Redmond is a little sleepy, a little further out. There is newer development around Redmond Town Center, but not that exciting.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bellevue vs. Redmond

BTW, you might enjoy Kirkland, just north of Bellevue, with direct bus service from the latter. Nice walk-around downtown, on the lake, with a park and marina, dining, galleries, etc.

http://www.explorekirkland.com/

Either walking or bus from downtown Kirkland, Juanita Bay Park, an old golf course, is very nice, including 3 boardwalks over the water for viewing birds and just enjoying this suburban park.

Issaquah, Washington
Level Contributor
537 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bellevue vs. Redmond

Where in Redmond is the conference? There are parts of Redmond that are directly across the street from Bellevue in the Overlake area. There are parts of Redmond that are across the street from Kirkland and then there's Redmond proper which is down a hill and some distance from the other parts of Redmond.

I like the area around Redmond Town Center. There are lots of stores, restaurants, and two movie theaters. I am a huge fan of the Gold Class Cinemas where you watch movies from a recliner and they serve food and drink at the touch of the button. I also like another movie theater in Redmond Town Center, Big Picture, which has a bar, comfortable seating, and a little touch of something extra. It's less expensive than Gold Class and sometimes plays art films. There's not as much variety in hotels as in Bellevue but there is a hotel right in the Town Center.

I think it would be fun to stay in Kirkland. There's good transportation to Downtown Seattle and it's a cute little town on the water. There is shopping but not the mall type of shopping that you would find in Bellevue or Redmond. There are also lots of great restaurants.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bellevue vs. Redmond

Kirkland has an ideal location right on Lake Washington, and two hotels, the Heathman and the Woodmark, are two top luxury boutique hotels, though the Woodmark sits in an area by itself, lovely and private, but more than a mile from Kirkland's main shopping/restaurant downtown. You can catch a bus nearby, but need to transfer. The Woodmark would not be convenient for bus commuting or your other needs.

The Heathman Hotel, on the other hand, would be convenient to the express bus to downtown. The Heathman also offers a complimentary town car service (weekdays) to Bellevue, Kirkland or Redmond, a nice perk. Kirkland is known for it's shopping district, a combination of local retailers, art galleries, consignment stores, etc. They have a nice farmer's market on Wednesdays, though it may be over for the season by the time you visit

In Redmond, the Marriott Hotel is an anchor on one side of the Redmond Town Center Shopping area. While, I too, like the area around Redmond town Center, as well as some things in downtown Redmond, and you do have access to the trail and Marymoor Park, I still would find it limiting for a multi-day stay. In Redmond, though you are closer to the Woodinville Wine Country, if that is an interest.

In Bellevue, you have a wider choice of hotels and restaurants, including, on the upper end, the Westin and Hyatt. The only boutique hotel in Bellevue is the Bellevue Club, unfortunately it's location is a bit out of the way, though they offer complimentary town car service to anywhere in Bellevue until 10:30 in the evening, and you have access to their wonderful full service athletic facility. Again, there is a much greater variety of restaurant choices in Bellevue, from local dining to chains, at all price points.

Will your husband have a car to get to his conference? Where is the conference?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bellevue vs. Redmond

Bellevue is a real city, though small, while Redmond is a suburb dominated by Microsoft so I'd go with Bellevue.

8. Re: Bellevue vs. Redmond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2011, 07:36