We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Heron Inn Status

Which Castle Rock hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
220 posts
217 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Heron Inn Status

Last February I booked a room for July at the Blue Heron Inn in Castle Rock through Eric, the supposed owner. Last April I called them up (talked to Eric) to change my credit card number. A few weeks ago Eric calls me to tell me that he is no longer the owner and that he will refund my deposit. I read on Trip Advisor what had happened and I panicked since this man had my credit card number and wondered if I should cancel that card - I even e-mailed the new management, explained my situation, asked for advice and they never emailed me back, however my deposit was refunded (3 weeks after I got the call).

I'm not sure who actually did the refund, but I'm guessing it was Eric since he had my CC# and called me, while the management did not e-mail me back or ave the decency to put anything on their website informing people what had happened and that their reservations might have been cancelled. If it were not for that phone call, my kids nad I would have no place to stay next week. (and it's not the Blue Heron inn).

I didn't want to post this on the reviews since I have not stayed at the plac but just wanted people to know that the management is not completely innocent in all of this.

6 replies to this topic
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Heron Inn Status

But you did get your refund?

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
220 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Heron Inn Status

Yes I did (see last sentance of the 1st paragraph of my message).

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Heron Inn Status

If you monitor the activity on your credit card, I wouldn't worry too much. You can and should notify the card company if any strange and incorrect charges show up. I suspect that the hotel did respond to your email by reversing the charge, even if they didn't have the courtesy of responding to you.

If you worried about people getting your card number you'd be a nervous wreck, since just about every restaurant server takes your card out of your sight to prepare the check.

As for staying in Castle Rock, we usually recommend other overnight stops, even though Castle Rock is closest to Mt. St. Helens. But that's another subject and I'm sure you had your reasons for booking there.

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
220 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Heron Inn Status

The only reason we initially chose Castle Rock was location, now we booked at a generic hotel further out. Where would you recommend staying if we want to visit the Mt. St. Helens area (both Johnston Ridge Observatory and Windy Ridge)?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Heron Inn Status

If that's as far north as you'll be going, why not just stay in Portland, which is only about an hour south fo Castle Rock. It's an easy daytrip and you'll have time for breakfast and dinner and another evening in Portland. On the other hand if you'll be hitting Mt. St. Helens on your way back from Seattle, take a look at Olympia or Centralia. Bigger towns, more options.

If you'll be in Castle Rock around breakfast or lunch time, check out the Rose Tree Restaurant's very reasonable steak & eggs...sometime on special, but usually not more than $5.95-$6.95. We usually make it a point to stop there for lunch on our way to the Seattle area.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Heron Inn Status

The most convenient would probably be a hotel at the Kelso/Longview exit near the Three Rivers Mall. There are several chain hotels in that area. It is about 10 miles south of Castle Rock (for Johnston Ridge Drive) and 20 miles north of Woodland for drive to Ape Caves. Not sure why you want to do Windy Ridge, there isn't much there, the devastation is pretty much grown over, it is often fogged in, there is no visitor center, and I'm not certain that the road will even be open yet.

Reply to: Blue Heron Inn Status
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Castle Rock