We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

POSSIBLE Chelan visit this summer

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
POSSIBLE Chelan visit this summer

I have a 9 yo daughter, and we're planning a trip for about July 28 - August 5. We actually have several different options, ranging all the way from LA (well, more like Knotts Berry Farm) to the Black Hills.

I took my daughter to Leavenworth three years ago. She loved it. I could do without some of the expense. It's an option... but as she's grown up, she's even expressed the occasional nuance and subtlety to try something different.

I stayed in Chelan about 26 years ago for a wedding. Since the wedding was in Omak, and since one required activity was golfing with my father, the only other appreciation I recall with Chelan was the swimming pool at the Best Western. I was a ripe old 15 at the time. I've passed through a couple times since. I'm just trying to determine if my daughter would appreciate the area.

We live in Idaho, so we have more of a tolerance for cold mountain streams than most. However, is Lake Chelan swimmable? I seem to remember a lakeside park... that's all I remember.

I've noticed Slidewaters. Recommended?

What else should I know? Or am I better off in Leavenworth?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: POSSIBLE Chelan visit this summer

Sorry, I forgot a question.

Is there any value to the boat tour to Stehekin IF we just go up and back the same day? I'm pressed for time on this, so I forget what I saw the last time I checked for accomodations in Stehekin. My daughter loves to swim, but doesn't really tolerate hikes past a mile and change... and while I'm not small by any means, she's definitely a load to carry (like for half a mile back from the Tuolumne Sequoia grove at Yosemite NP last year- ouch!).

washington state
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: POSSIBLE Chelan visit this summer

hi, i'm 25, going to chelan with my mom in june. waterslides are always fun, chelan is nice and hot, i like the pools but the lake isnt bad (i get cold easy, i grew up in the south pacific) if she liked levenworth she'd like stehikan. campbell's, darnell's, and the best western are good to stay at i hear. darnell's with water slide, trampoline....i don't know about hiking, i think there are some waterfalls in the area...i'll try to remember to write after our trip

above Seattle
Level Contributor
103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: POSSIBLE Chelan visit this summer

The lake will be very swimmable that time of the summer.........perfect even, as it will be hot. Chelan will be crowded however. Check out the Caravelle lodge........it's right in town on the lake & has a pool/hottub as well. Campbells is cool but it's pricey. Actually, any place ON Chelan will be pricey that time of the summer, but I'd do it instead of Leavenworth. It may be difficult to get a hotel at this late date. Many people book their rooms in January for a summer trip. The water park (at the city park) has bumperboats & other activities along with access to the lake.

You may also want to see if you can get a place out at Wapato Point. It's a timeshare community but there's usually some availability. Once again, it'll be pricey, but they have jet ski & peddleboat rentals, minature golf, & boat mooring right at the resort. Check their website for availability, call them, or check ebay. The tennis units are the newest/nicest, but are also farthest from the lake, so don't be surprised if that's the only option.

Can't help you with the hiking............I'm not sure there's much around there that wouldn't be very uncomfortable in the dead of summer. The waterslides are pretty cool..........but get there early as it will also get crowded. Your daughter will have fun there.

Seattle
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: POSSIBLE Chelan visit this summer

We just returned from a 2 week stay in Chelan with a 5 yr old, 2 yr old and a 14 month old. It is a fabulous place with kids and there is a ton to do!!!

The lake itself is soooo pretty and the water is cool, but it is perfect on a 100 degree day! We spent more time in the lake than the hotel pool, as the lake was more refreshing. Also, the lake is very clean.

I would definitely recommend Slidewaters. We went for an afternoon with the two older kids and they looooved it. It was a big crowded, but not that bad at all.

Also, I'd try renting a waverunner or jetski. We rented a waverunner for an afternoon and both of the older kids LOVED it. We just took it easy in the no wake zone with the kids. When they were tired of it, we took them out ourselves and had some fun. Also, there is an arcade downtown Chelan that is nice for something to do inside with AC. There is also a really nice grass putt putt course right by the public marina.

We stayed at the Caravel (soon to be the Grandview) in one of the new rooms and it was absolutely amazing. The best room I've ever had at Chelan in my 18 years of going there in the summers. They have a nice swimming dock on both sides of the hotel. The pool is small, but clean and was never overly crowded. They also have a slide on the swimming dock that is fun to use into the lake.

I would highly recommend Lake Chelan for anyone!!! I love it there and can't get enough of it!!!

If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask...it's all fresh in my memory.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: POSSIBLE Chelan visit this summer

We spent a week in Chelan last summer with out teenagers and loved it. I understand why people go year after year. We wish we had taken the kids when they were younger. They are begging to go back. The days are hot, lake swimmable and warm.

We rented a house a Wapato Point, and there are many accomodation options in their condo units. I would highly recommend that complex, as you have pool and beach, tennis courts, mini-golf, bikes, movie rentals, kids activities, water craft rental on-site. It is very family oriented and there are tons of kids around.

Seattle
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: POSSIBLE Chelan visit this summer

My friends and i are planning to go to lake chelan next week. i've heard it's lovely there.

We're going to be camping at lake chelan state park and are looking into watercraft rental fees.

Does anybody know how much it typically is to rent watercrafts (jetskis, boats) for an afternoon?

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: POSSIBLE Chelan visit this summer

As I remember, several years ago boat rental was about $200/day, though we rented for a week, I believe your day rate is higher. If you rent a boat, life jackets, safety gear etc will be included. We got them to provide skis and a wakeboard at no add'l cost. Remember, it is the end of the season, so you may be able to "deal". Don't forget the cost of gas in your estimates. We are paying about $5/gallon at marinas this summer.

Seattle
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: POSSIBLE Chelan visit this summer

Slidewaters is great! My kids (7 & 3) LOVE it. It has a nice family vibe to it, although kids of all ages seem to have a great time. A good variety of slides, nice hot tub, decent concessions. A fun way to spend the day and recommended if you're in the area.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: POSSIBLE Chelan visit this summer

We love Chelan. Slidewaters is great. The Grandview (previously the Caravel) should be easy to get reservations there even now, we stayed there last summer and enjoyed it very much. Lake front swimming pool with water slide. Great location and quick walk across bridge to town. The condos are very nice but a little spendy. I grew up going to Chelan (staying at Campbells) and we have been taking our son there since he was born, he is 13 now. He loves it. There is miniature golf, go carts, waterslides, a bowling alley and a movie theatre. Lots to do for kids.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,234 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: POSSIBLE Chelan visit this summer

This post is from 2007. If you have a question please post a new question.

Get answers to your questions about Chelan
Recent Conversations