We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to get from Sea-Tac to Tacoma?

Which Everett hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
western mass
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
how to get from Sea-Tac to Tacoma?

I'm flying in to Sea-Tac and couldn't find a reasonable car rental rate closer than Tacoma (u-save--it's about 1/2 the price). But I can't for the life of me figure out how to get there. (Isn't the TAC for Tacoma? Can I only reach the city by shelling out $50 for a van, and same on the return?) We're going to 11011 Pacific Avenue Tacoma, WA 98444, and we'll have a bunch of stuff (including 2 kids). I then have to get up to Bellevue for the (non-refundable) hotel and then out to Safeco for a ball game. Boy did I mess this up...

Thanks for any help.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: how to get from Sea-Tac to Tacoma?

Yes, Seatac Airport is located between Seattle and Tacoma, hence the name. But it's closer to Seattle than Tacoma by about 10 miles I'd say--so a cab to downtown is going to be less than a cab to Tacoma, so I would say it's probaby going to be at least $40-ish each way. There are minivans in the fleet of taxis that services the airport so one of those should accommodate you.

So yes, figure the cost of getting to the car rental place into the total cost and you may want to change your car reservation to another off-airport location that's closer, especially when you factor in the time savings as well.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to get from Sea-Tac to Tacoma?

Know also that traffic between from SeaTac to Tacoma - then back to Bellevue can be horrendous, depending on the day and time, and will most likely take several hours. I cannot imagine starting out and ending a trip that way.

Because you are staying in Bellevue there are multiple car rental outlets which I assume you have checked - yes? If not that would be my first recommendation.

western mass
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: how to get from Sea-Tac to Tacoma?

I didn't see car rental outlets in Bellevue--I'll check that. The price was just unbelievable anywhere in Seattle. I'm thinking of pricelining a car for the day to get myself to Tacoma and then returning it the same day. As I said, I really messed this up. I had no idea the cars would be such a problem. We arrive on a Saturday, mid-day. Would traffic be a problem then?

Issaquah, Washington
Level Contributor
517 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to get from Sea-Tac to Tacoma?

Bellevue has all or most rental companies. It is the fifth largest city in Washington state. Tacoma is about 20 miles south of the airport. It would probably cost at least $50 by taxi. Would you have to return the car to Tacoma? That's another $50. The biggest issue, however, is that it is in the opposite direction of your hotel.

Check out rentals in Renton, Bellevue, Issaquah or even Kirkland. All would be more convenient than going to Tacoma. It might not cost less but there's your time. Driving to and from Tacoma would be at least an hour. Saturday should be fine for traffic but you never know.

Where in Bellevue are you staying? You could take a bus to and from Safeco for the game and pick up a car later.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: how to get from Sea-Tac to Tacoma?

Maybe I'm mistaken, but won't a taxi to Bellevue cost close to the same as to Tacoma? Or is it really about the same to go there as to Seattle from the airport?

Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to get from Sea-Tac to Tacoma?

Roughly:

SEATAC to Renton- 6 miles

SEATAC to Seattle- 13 miles

SEATAC to Bellevue- 15 miles

SEATAC to Tacoma- 20 miles

western mass
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: how to get from Sea-Tac to Tacoma?

We're staying at the Embassy Suites, because it is my kids' favorite hotel. Nice pools, free breakfast, and we don't end up sleeping at least one of them on the floor--can't beat it. The problem is that we need a 2.5 week rental, so the difference is about $1000, which is worth driving for. I'll definitley look into buses to Safeco though--that would be great. I forgot that I'm dragging my 10-year-old to a baseball game that is going to end at about 1am according to her body clock.

Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how to get from Sea-Tac to Tacoma?

Actually the Belleuve Embassy Suites is just off I-90 at Eastgate, very close to the Eastgate Park and Ride. Highly recommend taking the bus from Eastgate - it's a straight shot.

…mlb.com/sea/…

western mass
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: how to get from Sea-Tac to Tacoma?

Thank you all so much for all the help. I just rented a car in Bellevue (duh! thanks for that pointer). They even have a pickup, but I have to be off airport. So I figure if I take a free shuttle to some hotel, they can come get me there. I'm all ears on ideas of things that are amazing and I have to do. We are leaving the city the next day and driving to BC, Montana, Idaho, and Oregon. Mostly camping. maybe a half dozen cool hotels. (I heard about Edgefield Manor in Oregon--that sounds cool.) I'd love to do some rock hounding (I hear Idaho is the place). I was heading to Friday Harbor from Seattle, but if there are better places I'm all ears. Thanks again to all for the assistance. Let me know if you ever need help on the Boston or Western Mass front...

10. Re: how to get from Sea-Tac to Tacoma?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 21:20
Get answers to your questions about Everett
More Everett Topics