We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frequent Visitor - pre Twilight -will I be sad?

Boston...
Level Contributor
345 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Frequent Visitor - pre Twilight -will I be sad?

I've been to Forks about, oh 1000 times. Ok, maybe only 7 times :-) I'm planning to take my (7 year old) twins out to do the hiking and nature stuff we love so much. I hope get back to making this an annual trip!

I'm wondering what I will find, having been in the area during the late 90's and early 2000's Part of me is happy that Forks has gotten such publicity and a boost in tourism but another (selfish) part of me is sad that "my" beloved area may have gone "Hollywood".

Please let me know what I can expect! We're planning on coming out in June/July. We's do a trip in May if we decide to do some Orca watching.

Thanks so much and if anyone has stayed at the LaPush hotel/cabins please let me know. I recall them to be very scary looking but websites seem to show a nicer place.

Maggie

Overland Park, KS
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frequent Visitor - pre Twilight -will I be sad?

We just spent a night at the Forks Motel last week. First time ever to Forks and although it was rainy and cool (maybe 60 degrees)it seemed like a nice town.

Our hotel room was right down the stret from the Forks High School where apparently part of the movie was filmed. We did see people stopping and taking pictures, etc but really didn't notice any large crowds of people.

My guess is this was a small little town that was struggling a little bit and the movie probably really helped them out - so that part is good. You will find there are local businesses in Forks and Port Angeles that are wisely advertising the connection.

We traveled into the rain forest and areas right outside of Forks and definitely not crowded so I think you will find it's still a nice remote getaway.

Enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Washington
California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frequent Visitor - pre Twilight -will I be sad?

MaggieinSoNE, we just returned from our first trip to Forks, Port Angeles, and Seattle. We enjoyed some beautiful nature hikes.

Almost every restaurant and store in Forks seems to have something on the Twilight theme! You'll notice things like Bella burritos, Bella pizza specials, and all sorts of other Twilight stuff. It's kind of an undertone, I'd say, the Twilight theme in Forks. It's a little tacky, but not overly so. It seemed a little sad to us, not being Twilight fans.

I can recommend the Quillayute river resort, where we stayed right on the river for 2 nights. It's only about a 5-minute drive to the Rialto beach which has a great sunset. It's maybe a half-hour drive to the Hoh rainforest which is gorgeous. I'm thinking it was maybe a 15-minute drive into the town of Forks. It's a clean and modest place, with friendly, helpful owners, and you get a full kitchen if you want to use it, and a barbecue if you want to use it. www.QRiverResort.com . It's quiet.

I'm actually getting ready to post my trip report soon.

Mentioned in this post
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Washington
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Rialto Beach
Rialto Beach
541 Reviews
Olympic National Park, WA
3. Re: Frequent Visitor - pre Twilight -will I be sad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2010, 05:16