We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Tacoma, Gig Harbor

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
206 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Tacoma, Gig Harbor

Hello,

I would appreciate advice on where to stay and what to do for a few days while visiting our daughter, a student at UPS. We plan to go into Seattle for a day but otherwise we like to hike, take ferries and visit gardens. Thanks!

Seattle
Level Contributor
386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Tacoma, Gig Harbor

You might want to spend some time at Point Defiance Zoo and park (lovely Japanese garden, too) , or catch a ferry there to lovely Vashon Island for a little exploring.

Sorry, I don't have any lodging recommendations for you -- I always stayed at my grandma's!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,029 posts
6,062 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Tacoma, Gig Harbor

I'd stay in Gig Harbor....

While Tacoma has some wonderful things to see...

Museum of Glass

http://www.museumofglass.org/s99_home.jsp

(This is where artists make fantatic pieces of art made out of glass....cost at end any where from 2K to 10K so much more fun than the ones at the fair. Amazing how they do this.)

and Point Defiance http://www.pdza.org/

Tacoma is somewhat an industrial town and railroad town and a little run down in areas, while Gig Harbor is more charming for evening lodging.

http://www.gigharborchamber.com/visitors.html

I'd check out Maritime Inn or the Best Western as options...and Tides Tavern for dinner.

Riverside...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Tacoma, Gig Harbor

HI,

I love the state of Washington and Gig Harbor is my favorite place. I have the most wonderful friends there and would be there now if possible.

I love going to Mt. Rainer & enjoying a picnic and the view. While I was there in July it was warm but the snow was just minuets away. I actually got sunburned on my back but it was very nice to know that the cool was withing walking distance. There is a hotel, place to eat and many trails to hike on. My thing was the amazing waterfalls. They are awesome!

Another place that is great is Vancouver, Canada. It is just a ferry boat away and is well worth the trip. The Bushard Gardens was great....lots of walking, beautiful plants and roses. Also, a great area for your picture taking.

Don't forget to try and do the High Tea.....an amazing experience!

One other place is Leavenworth. It is an awesome little town with the old German town (or Swiss) atmosphere! Many great shops to visit and buy things at....also a great place to take those vacation pictures.

On a more local area, the Point Defiance Zoo & Park is well worth the visit. Again a great place for the camera!

Anyone of the hotels is great especially if you can get a room over looking the cove. A great sun rise and sunset to view over the waters and boats. Tide's Tavern is awesome to eat at.

Hope this will help give you some ideas. As you can see I love the place and hope to return there soon & may well retire there some day. :)

Have an awesome trip, Pat Evans

washington state
Level Contributor
547 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Tacoma, Gig Harbor

Gig Harbor is a great little town but if you are visiting at UPS you will have to deal with the bridge commute. They are building a new bridge next to the old one and the traffic can be a nightmare. You might want to stay at the Silver Cloud Inn. It is right on the water in Old Town Tacoma. It is in the northend, a very beautiful part of Tacoma and only minutes from UPS. In defense of Tacoma, it's industrial roots are fading fast and it quickly becoming a really nice little city. I moved here 10 years ago and I can't believe how much things have changed in that time.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
15 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Tacoma, Gig Harbor

Hi -

There are some small botique hotels and B&Bs in the Gig Harbor area that are great choices (check out Gig Harbor's website). The bridge can be a pain - I've crossed it regularly for almost 30 years. It's not too bad in late summer, but once school is back in session and vacations end, peak hour commutes can be brutal. If you are going into Seattle, visit the arboretum south of U of W campus -- one of the oldest and most impressive gardens in the area (and free). Everyone has mentioned Point Definance which offers gardens and a good place for short hikes. Also consider taking the ferry from Bremerton to downtown Seattle (particularly if weather is good and you are going to spend most of your time in downtown tourist areas). It's a great ride, avoids traffic (particularly if you are coming from Gig Harbor) and puts you right into the middle of downtown. Enjoy your visit.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
15 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Tacoma, Gig Harbor

Hi -

There are some small botique hotels and B&Bs in the Gig Harbor area that are great choices (check out Gig Harbor's website). The bridge can be a pain - I've crossed it regularly for almost 30 years. It's not too bad in late summer, but once school is back in session and vacations end, peak hour commutes can be brutal. If you are going into Seattle, visit the arboretum south of U of W campus -- one of the oldest and most impressive gardens in the area (and free). Everyone has mentioned Point Definance which offers gardens and a good place for short hikes. Also consider taking the ferry from Bremerton to downtown Seattle (particularly if weather is good and you are going to spend most of your time in downtown tourist areas). It's a great ride, avoids traffic (particularly if you are coming from Gig Harbor) and puts you right into the middle of downtown. Enjoy your visit.

7. Re: 3 days in Tacoma, Gig Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 21:18
Get answers to your questions about Gig Harbor