We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kennewick WA - City in the country!

Which Kennewick hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Kennewick WA - City in the country!

Kennewick WA has a lot to offer the family that wants to live near the country, but not actually in it. Farms and vineyards dot the surrounding land, and three rivers converge here to offer plenty of boating and river fun!

If you are traveling between Oregon and Spokane, this is an excellent stop over!

Be sure to see what is going on in town by visiting: http://www.visittri-cities.com/

In July, the Hydro boats are here for 3 days, and in the winter, lots of small town craft shows and holiday events! The Pasco Fiery Foods Festival is fun to visit in the summer, and car shows are abundant in this area as well.

I strongly suggest you also try to go east towards Lewiston Idaho via HWY 124 out of Burbank Heights, to later connect with highways north to Spokane, this way you can see the real country side of Eastern Washington! :)

Going through Waitsburg WA and Dayton WA along the way, you will find little shops and stores to spend your day, and great little restaurants to dine at!

Have fun, and happy traveling! :)

Mike T.

p.s.-If traveling in the winter months, DO be prepared for snow and ice!

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kennewick WA - City in the country!

Tell me more!

I am planning on moving back either to Spokane or Tri-Cities.

So tell me what is so great about Kennewick/Tri-Cities and is it better than Spokane!

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kennewick WA - City in the country!

It depends on what you are looking for, right? :)

Spokane is much bigger, and has more to see and do, but the Tri-Cities puts you smack dab in the middle of a lot of country/rural wine country and river fun. Both are not expensive to live in, but if I had my choice, I'd live in Spokane, I have to admit! :)

MT

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kennewick WA - City in the country!

Interesting answer( not the one I expected!!).

So why would you live in Spokane rather than Tri-Cities?

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kennewick WA - City in the country!

Because Spokane "feels" right to my wife and I :)

We like the old city, and it's charm, and it feels blue collar, as opposed to hoity toity Seattle ;)

MT

NW USA
Level Contributor
317 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kennewick WA - City in the country!

Hi anemone!

You've made some very helpful posts in the London forum, so I'd like to add my 2-cents...I would pick Spokane as well. The Tri-cities is so barren while Spokane has evergreen forests. Also, the Hanford nuclear reservation is one of, if not the, main industry in the Tri-cities...I don't know, it's just the idea...also there is a huge chemical depot nearby in Umatilla, Oregon. There are emergency plans in place in case of a leak. Living downwind can be sort of scary. It's such a shame they've placed these facilities on the Columbia River, but I guess we know more about the potential harm now. The Tri-cities residents do have higher cancer rates than normal, maybe due to radiation exposure in past years; however I understand that the ground water has been contaminated. Just my thoughts, would you like a grain or two of salt?

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kennewick WA - City in the country!

Hi Tumblingweed!Thanks for the nice comments re TALF.

your two cents are appreciated!

I had forgotten about Hanford on the doorstep in Tri-Cities.

And I guess I really am leaning to Spokane: I like the less hoity-toity feel of the place too--used to live in Bellevue and when I go back now I just can't stand the people there, ugh!

So anything else you think of let me know,I'll keep checking in here :)

NW USA
Level Contributor
317 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kennewick WA - City in the country!

anemone, sorry I don't know much about Spokane, but I would think being near I-90 has its advantages, making it easier to go to the Seattle area for whatever, or into Idaho and Montana. I have been to Kettle Falls, just north of there and loved the little towns along the river with tons of beautiful mountain country in between! I think anywhere on the east side of the Cascades you'll find people to be friendlier and more laid-back. We like fishing and camping type activities so don't usually hit the cities :)

I have to say some nice things about the Tricities: awesome weather, friendly people (they don't glow in the dark or have 6 toes), the boat races are fun, great fishing nearby, the high desert country is a unique environment, not too far to the Blue Mtns.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kennewick WA - City in the country!

"I think anywhere on the east side of the Cascades you'll find people to be friendlier and more laid-back."

Yup! So very true Tumblingweed!!!!! :)

The people WEST of The Cascades are too high strung, maybe too much coffee? (grin).

MT

NW USA
Level Contributor
317 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kennewick WA - City in the country!

That must be it SoapinTrucker, add to that cloudy weather and fighting the traffic must make 'em grumpy :0. By the way, I agree with you about that Waitsburg/Dayton country. That's a place where I always wonder what it be like to live out there whenever I've gone through. It feels like stepping back in time 50 years or so!

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kennewick WA - City in the country!

OK, so if you could live anywhere in WA where would that be?

Get answers to your questions about Kennewick