We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you think of Kirkland?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
146 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
What do you think of Kirkland?

I have never been to the Seattle area, but our family of 4, including 2 grown children, will be vacationing there for about a week. As of right now, we are planning a day in Seattle, a day in DuPont (picking up our son) and 2 days in the San Juan Islands. I have been looking at spending the next day touring a couple of wineries in Woodinville. If we do this, I was wondering if Kirkland would be a nice place to spend the night and possibly the next day. From what I have read, it looks like a fun place. But, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has actually been there. Thank you in advance.

14 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
146 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What do you think of Kirkland?

Our four day trip just got cut short by one day, so we have decided to spend two nights on Orcas and then drive to Seattle for the day and our third night. We have a reservation at a hotel in Seattle, but it's not all that great of a place. In our research of Kirkland, we really like the looks of the Heathman. But, as several of you have mentioned, it's not an ideal location for sightseeing in Seattle. However, we will have a car and we will be there on a Sunday, so we won't have to deal with Seatlle rush hour traffic. If we stay at the Heathman, we would most likely have to drive/park into Seattle twice that day - we would tour the city during the day on Sunday, then drive to Kirkland to check into our hotel and freshen up late that afternoon, and then drive back into Seattle for dinner that night. We are weighing the convenience of staying in a not so great hotel in the city to the inconvenience of staying in a nicer hotel outside of the city. I realize that this is a personal preference question, but does the fact we will be there on a Sunday make staying in Kirkland a little more feasible?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
146 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What do you think of Kirkland?

Also, the Seattle hotel where we have a reservation is Homewood Suites downtown. It looks acceptable to us, but just not as nice as the Heathman. Apparently, it is also not very close to downtown.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,432 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What do you think of Kirkland?

The Homewood suites on Pike is in the heart of everything and couldn't be more ideal for sightseeing without a car. If its the Homewood on Western yes that is the fringe of downtown and near the Space Needle so not as good. If you clarify it would help give you advice.

Personally when you don't know the city and you don't know where you want to sightsee you'll end up driving downtown parking then walking everywhere and coming back to the car to go home. Being downtown makes this all unnecessary. Weekends are easier as far as commuting.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
546 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What do you think of Kirkland?

Regardless of which Homewood it is, I would stay downtown. So much more convenient than running back & forth across the bridge, which will waste a lot of your limited time. Even on a Sunday, traffic can be difficult - especially if there are road closures as we're looking at this weekend, 520 and part of 405 will be shut down so it will be a mess. Spend your time seeing Seattle, not sitting in a car or a hotel room.

Reply to: What do you think of Kirkland?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kirkland