We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bonfire on the beach

Kaysville, Utah
Level Contributor
31 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Bonfire on the beach

We will be visiting La Push in May and would like to have a fire on the beach and watch the sunset. I've read about making sure the fire is down where high tide will remove signs of the fire so I am assuming that fires are allowed. Which beach would be best to do this - 1st Beach, 2nd Beach, Rialto or somewhere else??

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bonfire on the beach

I don't know the rules about fires specifically, but I know all the wood there is wet so bring your own. Check the tide tables, too, and don't walk away from anything burning when you leave (bring a bucket and a shovel).

I'd pick Rialto Beach myself. None of them were very wide when we were there, though. so it isn't as private as a bigger beach. There would be people walking nearby as it is popular.

I know they allow fires on Oregon beaches.

Snoqualmie...
Level Contributor
258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bonfire on the beach

Ainwa makes a good point -- if it has been raining the driftwood might be wet. But once you get a decent fire started you should be able to use some driftwood after a few coals have formed.

Here are a couple of other thoughts

I think the Quiliute Tribe have jurisdiction over first beach, so you may want to check with them before comitting to first beach. First beach is easy to get to from the car

Second beach is great for fires, we did so a few years ago and it was wonderful. Just remember that it's about 3/4 of a mile back to the car and you'll need at least a few flashlights after dark (unless you are camping) Camping is first come, first served on Second Beach, but you should be okay in May unless it's Memorial Day weekend.

Rialto has a bit more slope the further north you go - try to find a spot near the south end of the trail. (You'll be closer to the car anyway once the campfire is done).

This press release if a few years old -- you may want to find out if these regulations are still in effect.

nps.gov/olym/…fire-restrictions-lifted.htm

Have a great time

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,875 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bonfire on the beach

I believe fires on First Beach are fairly common, but I am no authority. It is far easier to access from the road/car as NaDy mentions.

4. Re: Bonfire on the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about La Push