We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking a 10 yr old from Texas to Whidbey Island...

Which Langley hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
6 posts
Save Topic
Taking a 10 yr old from Texas to Whidbey Island...

We are taking our 10 yr old grandson with us to visit family in Coupeville. We have never been to Seattle area before, and we want a place to stay for a week that isn't pricey, but gives us a bit of room, a coffee pot, etc. This place looked good, with a great weekly rate, and tons of room. I am having my bro-in-law look at it, but would appreciate comments, suggestions, etc.

What are the things we should NOT miss? We do want to go to B.C. and take the peak to peak gondola, and do some fishing.

Thanks

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking a 10 yr old from Texas to Whidbey Island...

You did not tell us the place on Whidbey Island you are asking about.

Also, I was a bit unsure, are you saying you will spend the week on WI? And traveling from there? On day trips? Vancouver, BC is not that far, but you will want to leave WI quite early to provide enough time to explore - if only for a day trip. The earlier you leave, the better, to avoid border traffic lines.

Whidbey Island is a great place to visit and stay. Your grandson will enjoy its many parks, Deception Pass Bridge, etc.

Whidbey Island (Great day or more getaway that is iconic of the Pacific NW, with key websites.)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl…

You know that you will need a very specific permission letter from your grandson's parents allowing you to take him over the border - right?

Here is one of several sites providing information:

www.visitcanada.com/PassportsAndCustoms.html

Edited: 25 February 2010, 05:45
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking a 10 yr old from Texas to Whidbey Island...

On Whidbey, make sure to take him to Fort Casey. Bring a decent kite if at all possible, maybe two -- one for him one for you. Bring a bag of small sticks and things to send up the string, too. (sticks 3/8" of an inch in diameter, 8" long, can tie on fabric flags).

I'd take him by ferry to Port Townsend on a full day trip, and go to Fort Worden over there. The fellow who runs the youth hostel there goes on a walk every day about 10am and is a wonderful tour guide for the fort. He doesn't charge, but a donation to the maintenance of the hostel would be appreciated I'm sure. Call in advance to the hostel to confirm.

Port Townsend would be a fun town to explore with a 10yo. You would need a car to get out to Fort Worden I think, or a taxi though it is not impossible to walk it. There's a new maritime museum there, too, at the north end of town.

Be sure to make reservations on the Port Townsend - Keystone ferry, especially the one later in the day. Allow yourself plenty of time.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,875 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking a 10 yr old from Texas to Whidbey Island...

Re: Fort Worden

The 10 year old can walk, but the grandfolks will probably want a car. Maybe not. You can walk from downtown/Point Hudson to Fort Worden along the beach, stroll and beachcomb along the way.

cheers,

chuck.

4. Re: Taking a 10 yr old from Texas to Whidbey Island...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2010, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Langley