We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Spokane to Leavenworth ?

Which Leavenworth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Spokane to Leavenworth ?

My Sister in law and I love to hit the road and explore. We are thinking of leaving Spokane at the crack of dawn and driving to Leavenworth on the first Saturday in December. I know it is a drive of maybe 3.5 hours each way and we are ok with that.... Is this crazy? Anyone know how the roads are from Spokane? Thanks in advance for the help. This is our only chance and we just want to see it at Christmas.

Leavenworth...
Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Spokane to Leavenworth ?

No it's not crazy if you don't mind the 7 hour round trip. I would advise getting there as early as you can, since parking is hard to find on that Saturday, as it is probably the busiest festival day of the year. Also, take a lunch and/or dinner with you, as you will have to stand in line for food. It is a really fun day if you don't mind the hassle of the drive. Take a camera too and dress for cold weather. If you get tired of the crowd, take a walk to the Waterfront park just a short walk from downtown. Very peaceful there. icicleinn.com/activities/printwaterfrontpark…

The roads will depend on the weather. Anything from dry and clear to snow is possible, so if it is snowy, you may not want to drive if you are not experienced with snow.

And you might want to check out tour buses. During the Lighting Ceremony weekends, there are many dozens of tour buses from all over the NW. That would be a great way to go, you don't have the hassle of driving, and you don't have to worry about snow on the road.

Try Inland Empire Tours of Spokane, phone number 509-747-1335

Leavenworth...
Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Spokane to Leavenworth ?

And here is a link to a story and a video about the Christmas lighting in Leavenworth.

northwestjourneys.com/index.php…

The story is there, and on the left side is a link to a video.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Spokane to Leavenworth ?

The tree lighting is fun. As already mentioned, if you don't mind the drive, definitely go! We have stayed in the area for several Christmas's and the tree lighting is a highlight.

Spokane Valley...
Level Contributor
35 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Spokane to Leavenworth ?

It is a beautiful little village in the mountains! My husband and I always try to visit that first week of December. There is usually a bit of snow and the lights are spectacular. Do try to eat at one of the restaurants though. Our favorite is Cafe Mozart and King Ludwigs, both serving excellent German fare. Also at the Christmas market they sell chestnuts roasted over the warming barrels and wonderful little spicy cookies that you can munch while listening to the carolers.

I hope the weather works for you. You won't be dissapointed. If you find it all to commercial, take a little drive up the Icycle Creek Road or a walk through Blackberry Island (in town) and experience the peace and solitude.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Spokane to Leavenworth ?

Blackbird Island is great. Right there in town, but you feel like you are so removed from everything.

Leavenworth...
Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Spokane to Leavenworth ?

By the way, Good Morning America will be in Leavenworth this Thursday. They are going to turn on the Christmas lights just like they do for the lighting ceremony. Of course, since it is live on the East Coast, they will tape the show between 4 and 6 AM Leavenworth time, but we can watch it between 7 and 9AM our time. The forecast for now is for snow falling, so it could be ideal. Anyway, if you wonder what the lighting ceremony is like, you will be able to watch it Thursday.

7. Re: Day trip from Spokane to Leavenworth ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 21:18
Get answers to your questions about Leavenworth