We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rothenburg/Bavaria

Gig Harbor, WA
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
Rothenburg/Bavaria

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you could tell me the similarities between Rothenburg and the cute Bavarian towns in Germany to Leavenworth. I have heard that Rothenburg is beautiful, but why go if I can experience the same right here in WA?

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rothenburg/Bavaria

Seriously???

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rothenburg/Bavaria

foxisle, that was my thought, also.

Surely, snowbunny98, you can check out the two websites. :)

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rothenburg/Bavaria

Leavenworth is a fun visit. But it surely is no Rothenburg.

We walked the walls in Rothenburg which surround the town. The streets are certainly European, random pattern, rather narrow. Town is very historic with many old buildings.

Really not sure what Bavaria means. It is the SE corner of germany, but the term has expanded to surrounding areas I think.

Our trip to area and beyond took us through Rothernburg. Munich, Salzburg, Innsbruck, Interlaken, Lucerne. Leavenworth is a touch of those places. but no comparison

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
529 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rothenburg/Bavaria

Real Germans laugh at Leavenworth (we took some German exchange students there). It reminds me of a German themed gift shop they used to have at the Seattle Center: Das Gifthaus. You would probably read that as "the gift house", but in German, Gift means poison.

Rothenburg op der Tauber falls in Bavaria - right near the border with Baden-Wuerttemberg. What I remember fondly of Rothenburg is a little corner of the town walls that look out over the river valley and an evening tour with the nightwatchman.

The one thing Leavenworth has going for it is the mountains close up and all around it. That reminds me more of Mittenwald in the Alps than Rothenburg out on the plain.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rothenburg/Bavaria

you can also safely cross england off the list if you've been to victoria

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rothenburg/Bavaria

Clever, vandan... :)

Gig Harbor, WA
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rothenburg/Bavaria

I know this seems like a strange question, but I have had people tell me that it felt like they flew 1,000 miles to see Leavenworth. My interest is purely in the cute quaint houses and architecture, and I should have said as much in my original message. I don't wan't to have the experience where I fly all of the way to Germany just to be disappointed by what I find.

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rothenburg/Bavaria

Usually people are also interested in experiencing the culture and meeting the people when they travel to another country. The architecture of Leavenworth is like a movie set. It is fake. It's like going to Disneyland. It's fun, it's something different, it's somewhere to go that's not Seattle. But it's not Germany.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rothenburg/Bavaria

You are not even comparing apples and oranges! Epcot at Disneyworld has a better fake of a Bavarian village than Leavenworth. I

It's in a pretty mountain setting, with a lot of shops and piped in yodeling and oompah music. In 45+ years living in and visiting Germany, I have seen nothing there similar (though Ruedesheim is getting close, as far as selling cheap Kitsch and catering to mass tourism).

Leavenworth is worth a weekend visit but it is a sterotype of Germany. You live in Washington--why not check it out? But don't think you have seen or

experienced anything like Bavaria or anything else in Germany!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rothenburg/Bavaria

Wuold guess if you flew all the way to Germany and only saw Rothenberg you would be disappointed. But if you made it part of bigger trip you should enjoy. We did, but one of several places we enjoyed. Think Luzern was my favorite