We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wenatchee River Tubing

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wenatchee River Tubing

We'll be staying in Leavenworth in 2 weeks, and I thought it would be fun to go tubing with the kids (ages 7 and 10). I'm concerned water temps will be too cold to be enjoyable (and I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to cold, LOL!).

I know I could look up temp charts for the river, but I'd rather hear from people - how does the water feel? Could we tube in bathing suits and be comfortable? Also, is there any one company that is better than another (I've come across 2 or 3 different companies of varying prices).

Thanks so much!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wenatchee River Tubing

It Will be cold! Think snow that has melted recently. However, the air will be warm and it will most likely be sunny. With the tubes, you can get mostly up and out of the water.

I think you'll have a great time! Good idea to go with a company that is familiar with the river rather than doing it yourself. The water can be tricky up there until you know what you're doing.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Wenatchee River Tubing

Thanks so much - that's exactly the type of info I was looking for!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wenatchee River Tubing

How early in the season can you usually start river tubing ainwa? Is 4th of July too early usually?

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wenatchee River Tubing

When I did the trip a few years ago the company supplied us with wetsuits. You might ask about that. Also there are a couple of spots where the rapids are actually pretty lively, will your 7 year old be comfortable with possibly falling out of the raft. Can they swim?

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wenatchee River Tubing

Sorry I just reread your question and realized you are asking about tubing and not rafting. I assume you must be on a much quieter part of the river if you are tubing.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wenatchee River Tubing

The water will be high at the 4th of July, so be sure you pick a safe place and wear a lifejacket. The river in town in is calmer. You might also like a day trip to Wenatchee to swim in and float on the Columbia at Confluence State Park. It has a nice swimming hole. There's also Lake Chelan, not too far away.

In Leavenworth, you might be more comfortable rafting over tubing, because the water is just recently melted snow. It doesn't ever really get warm, but the days get hotter in later July and August so it is more fun.Use a guide in the white water sections west of town. Lake Wenatchee State Park is another fun spot to get in the water.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Wenatchee River Tubing

Just checking in post-trip - the weather was hot and the water felt great! We did use a company, but really, they offered no information about the river (other than a landmark for the exit point), tips for tubing generally or straps for us to connect our tubes together. My little guy got pulled way ahead of us, and we lost sight of him around river bends for a good 15 minutes, until he found a spot where he was able to get out of his tube and get to shore to wait for us. Realistically, I knew there was no imminent danger as the river was calm, DS is a good swimmer and had on a life jacket, and there were plenty of other families swimming and tubing on the river that day, but it was still pretty scary for all of us.

As a suburbanite, it's easy to forget that every activity out there isn't in a completely controlled environment. ;-) Just a bump in the road and an opportunity to review "survival" skills with the kids during an otherwise amazing trip to WA/OR.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wenatchee River Tubing

I'm glad you had fun, and that the weather cooperated! Thank you for reinforcing the need to be safe and to think ahead about some possibly bad scenarios.

On this forum, I wouldn't recommend anyone to "self-cater" an adventurous possibly dangerous trip since I have no way to know what your skills are. If something happened based on overconfidence, I would feel worse than bad. So I won't do it (unless you're a NOLS graduate or something, as one recent poster was).

You should give the rafting / tubing company some feedback about getting more river handling information, etc., and report that your party got separated from one another. Sounds like they could work on handling it better.

Glad you had a great trip!

9. Re: Wenatchee River Tubing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Leavenworth