We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leavenworth Lighting Ceremony Photo Tips?

Which Leavenworth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Leavenworth Lighting Ceremony Photo Tips?

We will be in Leavenworth next month to see the lighting ceremony. Any photographers with tips on best location to take pictures? This is our first visit so we are unfamiliar with the layout. Thanks!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leavenworth Lighting Ceremony Photo Tips?

use gmaps to learn the layout from a birds eye view

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leavenworth Lighting Ceremony Photo Tips?

There will be zillions of people there so it will be hard to set up a tripod. You might want a monopod instead to be more maneuverable.

Between the highway and the main street of town is a park with a plaza which is the central area for the festival. There is about 15 feet of elevation gain from town to highway. It would give a different perspective to photograph from somewhere on the hill.

It will be dark by about 4:30 pm. The lights are switched on ceremonially, but I don't know at what time.

Look for wandering Father Christmas / Pere Noel / Santa Claus figures. There are 8 or so of them, from many traditions.

Generally one of the churches sponsors a high quality living nativity scene nearby. Last time I went it was in a large fruit warehouse down by King Ludwig's but I believe that building has been torn down.

It usually snows, though of course that can't be predicted. You might want to acclimate your lenses and equipment to the cold so you don't have any problems with condensation.

California
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leavenworth Lighting Ceremony Photo Tips?

ainwa,

Thank you for the tips! I am hoping the lights will be on in that sweet spot at dusk where the light is perfect.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leavenworth Lighting Ceremony Photo Tips?

you are welcome

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leavenworth Lighting Ceremony Photo Tips?

There will be some lights on, but I don't know if they wait for full dark for the official lighting. I have been there for it , but I can't remember! The crowd is especially intense at that time, as everyone in town is out in the plaza for the lighting ceremony.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leavenworth Lighting Ceremony Photo Tips?

When we have been there for it, the lights did not come on til it was very dark. The area was mobbed too. I cannot imagine trying to take a photo of it at that time. We have been a handful of times for this, BTW.

If you want just the lights, not the actual moment they are turned on, just wait a little bit. The crowd clears out quickly and you should be able to get your photo op.

California
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leavenworth Lighting Ceremony Photo Tips?

Mtngrl,

I appreciate the info about the crowds. How long do the lights remain on? Are they on every night during the week or just the weekends?

8. Re: Leavenworth Lighting Ceremony Photo Tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Leavenworth